Chapter 4

Candor

“How are we doing today Miss Candor?”

Lana looks up from her feet at Dr Stein, takes in his haywire hair and friendly smile and feels herself smile back on reflex. She’s always liked Dr Stein better, even though he and Dr Yates clash regularly the psychological aspects of her enhancements.

“I’m trying to keep my distance.” She answers truthfully. “Nervousness brings out the over analysis, and analysis doesn’t always lead to positive outcomes. Negative outcomes may lead me to – not be in optimal condition for this.”

Dr Stein smiles in understanding. He doesn’t reprimand her for shying away from the problem, doesn’t suggest a checkup of her inhibitor nodes if she's having second thoughts about her purpose. As always, he allows her to breathe. “So what are you thinking about?” he asks curiously.

Lana scans the room, follows everyone’s focus attuned to their specific tasks before she whispers, “I’ve been wondering if I can transmute my fingers into multi colored brushes and paint a full portrait in half the time.”

As expected, Dr Stein laughs. “But that would take the fun out of the process Miss Candor, it’ll be finished too soon.”

“Not everyone enjoys the journey more than the destination Dr Stein.” Lana teases.

“Ever impatient Miss Candor” He gripes good naturedly. “Ever impatient”

They’re quiet after that, just watching the crew set up. Lana meets Dr Yates’ eyes as he loads the nanites into a syringe. She stands up slowly, turning to Dr Stein one last time. “Would you do me a favor Dr Stein?”

Dr Stein hesitates “That – I’m afraid that depends on what you ask of me.”

“Just --”she can’t meet his eyes, almost hates herself for asking and hates herself for being weak. “Just – don’t let Dr Yates check my inhibitor. I’m afraid I won’t be able to assimilate to the upgrade without my wandering thoughts to distract me.” She walks away before he can answer. Dr Yates helps her lay down on the bed as technicians surround her, their eyes excited and curious.

“Breathe” Dr Yates says softly. There’s a a now familiar stab of pain at her back, and the world goes back for Lana.