Chapter 1

"Myka," a voice says, I look up from my inventory papers to see my beautiful girlfriend Helena crossing the warehouse aisle towards me. "Artie got a ping, he says we have to leave as soon as possible."

"Where is it at this time?" I ask. We begin to walk back the other direction.

" He said he got some reports of some strange activity in Kansas. He said it has to do with people exploding" Helena explains. She tucks a hair behind her ear walking briskly.

"Okay, when do I have to be ready?" I ask. That was one of the things I hated most about being an agent , I had to be ready to up and pack my bags at a moments noticed no questions asked. Helena just looks at the ground.

"He said we have to be ready in about 30 minuets if we want to catch our flight." I just shake my head, such short notice, he could never give us time to actually pack could he?

"Alrighty then." I say, we make our final turn to the office.

"Myks!" Pete says as he notices us at the doorway. He gives me a lopsided hug. "Heard you're going to Kansas, the land of Dorothy and toto! Just stay safe okay?" A smile crosses my face as I hug him back.

"I will Pete. I have Helena to protect me." I say tossing a wink in her direction.

"She better keep you safe or I wont let her hear the end of it." he says jokingly. Artie crosses to us from the computers he was sitting at.

"Alright, here are the files on the case" Artie says as he hands me a small stack of papers. "now go pack your bags so you don't miss your plane!" he hustles us out of the door.

In what seems like no time Helena and I are at the bed and breakfast.

"Okay sweetie," Helena says as she gets out of the black SUV. "be back here in ten, don't want Artie getting mad at us for missing the plane." she walks off towards her room, "I'm timing you!" she calls over her shoulder. I cant help but smile as I walk off to my room. packing only the bear necessities I'm able to make it back to the car in about 7 minuets, where I see Helena waiting causally for me.

"Here we go" I say as I open her door for her. I get in and in no time were off to Kansas.