Secret Admirer- Part 1

Chapter One

            Clara Harden finished ringing up her last customer in the shop and waved goodbye. The moment the front door closed behind the elderly woman, Clara whirled around to face her friend. “I don’t close for another hour, so finish your story before someone else comes in.”

            Levi’s small male frame lounged comfortably in her shop chair. His skinny-jean covered leg hung over the arm rest, swinging casually. He rolled his eyes and let out a huff. “So there I sat, palming my felix...”

            What the heck did that mean? “You were what?” she asked, reclaiming the shop chair next to his.

            “Palming my felix.” He waved his hand in the air between them as if that would suddenly make her understand the definition of his statement. It didn’t work. When she didn’t acknowledge his meaning, he rolled his eyes a second time. “You know. Masturbating!”

            She should’ve known his story would end up about sex. That was the main topic of her best friend’s conversations. But she hadn’t seen him for over a month due to his living in Phoenix. If she had anything to do with the arrangement, the distance between them would change soon. Actually, she hoped he’d take her up on the offer to work at her shop, Hard Hair. She tried trending up the small desert town but because she grew up there, she ended up meshing with the background. Wilson, Arizona needed the spunk that Levi could bring. Levi didn’t have the ability to blend in any place. Certainly not here.

            He slid his hand over his short, blue-tipped haired. “Don’t deny playing with your taco.”

            “I’m not talking about this with you.” She giggled. “You know what I need? Some female friends.” And a cold can of Coke. The day had started wearing on her. Yes, Levi needed to help her run Hard Hair, so her hours lessened.

            “No, honey. What you need is a man.”

            “Oh no! We are not going here again. Levi, I can’t stand hanging out with myself all the time, why would anyone else enjoy my company?”

            “Because if you don’t find someone, you’ll end up like one of those types of women.” He held his hands in the air, opening and closing his fingers as if mimicking light bulbs on a stage. “I can picture your future now. Ten cats…” he said as his eyes widened, “and a dildo.”

            “Just so you know, I don’t like cats.”

            Levi offered a big grin. “But you like dildos.”

            Her friend was wrong. Okay, so she wasn’t opposed to dildos but she didn’t own any either. And she didn’t want ten cats. But there wasn’t anyone in town that she held mutual attraction with.

            The bells on the front door jingled before she had a chance to respond, sending her jumping to feet. Customers should never-ever see her slacking. She peeked around the half-wall to the waiting area. Her breath caught in her chest. “I’ll be right there, Sheriff Brown.” She ducked out of Sheriff Brown’s view to check her hair in the mirror. After applying fresh shimmery lip gloss, she smacked her lips together, and then called out, “Just give me a minute.”

            “No problem, Clara. Take your time,” Sheriff Brown called back to her in his deep voice. Chills swept through her.

            She ran her fingers through her straight blond hair, figuring the strands were as good as they were going to get after working for nine hours already.

            She glanced over at Levi who had moved to the edge of the chair, his eyes wide as he mouthed, “Who is that?”

            “Tell you later,” she whispered. She made sure her blouse had stayed tucked into her black skirt before rushing out to greet Owen Brown.

            As soon as their eyes met, Owen stood. “I’m sorry to just stop in like this, Clara.” He ran his fingers through his hair. “I just had an extra few minutes, so stopped by for a hair cut. Do you have an available spot for me today?”

            She glanced at the calendar even though she knew she didn’t have anyone else scheduled for the rest of her day. She fought back a groan as she realized how immature she acted whenever Owen wandered into her shop. Really? Pretending she actually had to check her schedule was something a high school girl would do to a crush. “Right this way,” she said with a smile.

            As she followed him back to the shop chair, she let her gaze move down the length of his body. She loved working with his soft, brown hair that he preferred to keep trimmed in a cut resembling a military style. He had broad shoulders, muscular back, and thick waist covered by his tan colored uniform. Heat rushed over her cheeks as she moved her stare down to his butt. The perfect shape of his toned cheeks would fit nicely in his hands.

            “Clara,” Levi said, snapping her attention off Owen’s gorgeous backside.

            The heat in her cheeks deepened. “Yes?”

            Levi winked at her. “Who is your friend?”

            “My friend?” Owen wasn’t her friend, but she sure wished he fell under that category of her life, and then perhaps things could progress into something deeper between them. “This is the town sheriff.”

            Own glanced at Levi. “I haven’t noticed you around town.”

            “Sheriff, this is my friend. He’s visiting from Phoenix and I’m hoping he takes the job I offered him at the salon.” She wrapped the apron around Owen’s shoulders, getting a little too close to him and having the opportunity to breathe in his heavenly maleness sent.

            “In that case, welcome to Wilson. I hope you enjoy your visit.” He tried turning his head to look at Levi but must’ve realized she had scissors close the back of his head because he jerked his head straight again. “Sorry, Clara.”

            “No problem, Sheriff.”

            He tensed under the hand she’d placed on the side of his head. “Isn’t it about time you call me Owen?”

            “If that’s what you want… Owen.” Desire swept through her so fast that she almost choked. 

***

Note from author: Secret Admirer is book 3 of the Desert Secret Series and only available in Wendy Ely's monthly newsletter. To subscribe, visit http://www.wendyely.blogspot.com/2012/08/a-very-busy-week.html