Now orphaned and grief-stricken at the mere age of seventeen, Alaska is just getting by. But barely. Getting by, as in, one foot on the other side of the unsteady railing, holding on for dear life 'getting by'. Getting by, as in, composing her loss like an overused equipment, limiting every move to salvage herself from further damage 'getting by'. Getting by, as in, burning herself to ashes to keep people warm with a smile on her face 'getting by'. She has her heart on the ground, mismatched, misled and mistaken. She is whole apart and inbetween.

On top of it all, she's got these terrible, gut-splitting visions, memories of an archaic land she no longer recognizes and a myriad of vicious demons that threaten to ravage her mind. In truth, She is not handling the strain quite well― holding herself up to be the secret self-proclaimed queen of unhealthy coping mechanisms. The girl would do anything, literally anything to get her mind off of the dark absurdities . . . and an opportunity arises when an alluring new face shows up in Mystic Falls, called Stefan Salvatore. With a past shrouded in mystery and a smile that hides a feeling of belonging, he's the epitome of perfect distraction for the likes of Alaska. But trouble ensues when his precarious brother appears next, lugging with him a string of bizarre murders, all drained of blood.

And suddenly Alaska's starting to see through the iridescent illusion carefully crafted to hide the sinister things that lurk in the shadows. She's tossed out of her safe harbour, into a foreign storm― all the while struggling to protect her loved ones in a macabre world where she's barely keeping her soul aloft.

Thrust into a timeless, spiraling void, Alaska is drowning. But people do not really see that.

Why would they?

Alaska, to put it simply, is like a mirrorball. Like a mirrorball, she is designed to be always at the center of the stage, shining above everyone else, reflecting thousands of patterns and rays of light. Alaska Gilbert is luminary and she has many facades. The ones the world chooses to see and the ones she wants the world to see. But as just as pretty they are to look at, they are also quite fragile.

Nobody quite knows the real Alaska. The girl behind the facade is built up of extremes― a hurricane trapped within a cage of blood and marrow. They admire her for they only see the light, not the darkness. They see the softness, not the frayed edges. The graceful princess; polished & pretty, not the sharp edged steel, lone fragment of a shattered mirror, the broken bone reflection of an elusive smile.

But it won't be for long.

Because Alaska Gilbert is bidding her time. She is on the hunt, a fox in a girl's body, patiently waiting for the darkness to fall, finally starting to escape the gaping jaws of her demons, ripping through the glimmering tapestry that tries to trap her in the flypaper of mediocrity.

She is set out to emerge as the divine revelation she was always meant to be.

With ichor dripping from her fingertips and specks of golden glory glistening on her mouth, Alaska is determined to take to power like icarus took to the sky and she knows― she knows her fall would be just as sweet.

☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼