Chapter 1 - Fury's Little Reunion

Maria Hill stands with her arms crossed near the glass windows. She is in the common living area of the Facility where most of Tony's parties were held. But unlike those times, the bar area is now dry and empty. Having alcohol at arm's reach is the last thing she wants for her recruits and trainees. 

She peers outside the huge glass windows and watches as an SUV pulls up and Clint and Wanda step out.They both disappear as they walk through the front door. Maria Hill smiles for a second and takes it back. Nobody sees her smile.

She turns around as the elevator door opens and out come Steve, Sam and Bucky. She sure is happy to see Steve and Sam but if she is being honest with herself, she's still a little apprehensive about Bucky. I just need time to know him better, that's all. Maria tells herself. 

They greet each other with hugs and handshakes and the elevator door opens again. Clint and Wanda walk out. Wanda runs and gives Steve and Sam a hug and a courteous smile to Bucky. But Clint being the overall nice guy that he is gives all of them a hug. After several minutes, pleasantries and catch up talk are cut off by a familiar voice.

"Good, you're all here. Now we can begin."

They all turn and see Nick Fury from across the room. Smile drops off Steve's face. 

He turns to Maria, "You didn't say anything about a mission when you called."

"Would you have come if I did?" Maria replies. Steve doesn't respond.

"Sorry, Cap. I wouldn't drag all of you here if it wasn't important," Fury says.

"It's okay. I was just disappointed that after everything, I thought we no longer have to lie to one another," Steve says with slight sarcasm but genuine disappointment.

It's not that he's not pleased to see Fury alive and well after coming back, but his history with the super spy has always been shaky. Sure, he can trust that Fury would always have their backs but his habit of keeping his motivations from them is a huge turn off. Like this one. He is so naive to think that Maria's surprise call was truly about a cute reunion. Apparently not.

"Are you sure it's okay for me to be here?" Bucky asks. 

Everyone turns their heads at him, surprised at his question at first but slowly understanding where he's coming from. After coming back from the snap, Bucky pretty much had no choice but to stay in Wakanda while Steve and the others sort things out with the Accords. But even when that was settled, he still couldn't step foot in the Facility because Tony didn't want him anywhere near him.

"Yes. Stark doesn't know you're here," Fury assures him.

"And if he finds out?" Wanda asks.

"I'll deal with it," Fury replies. Everyone is silent for a moment, no idea where to go from there.

"What's this about, Boss?" Clint finally butts in to diffuse the tension. 

He's technically not his boss anymore, but Clint's training is still there, including the respect for his former superior. Fury nods and brings out his tablet, taps a few buttons and the TV monitor on the wall comes to life. They all watch as Fury lines up faces of almost a dozen men on the screen, composed of either old mug shots or surveillance photos.

"It's going to be a bit of a preamble but bear with me," Fury warns them. "Meet the Big Boss Company. During the Decimation, a lot of prominent mafia bosses disappeared, leaving their organizations, well, chaotically headless. Smaller, but ambitious Scarface wannabes took advantage of the situation and snatched these vacant top positions in their respective towns, states, and countries. For some sick twist of fate, these new bosses crossed paths and formed a worldwide mafia conglomerate, operating in five countries."