Ch 4

Bell after bell rang, moving me to one class and then another. I was a bit disappointed in myself, since I was absolutely unable to focus on anything my teachers were saying. At one point in art class, I had mindlessly painted a complete mess, imitating my thoughts. Luckily, the teacher passed it as abstract art. You could imagine my relief when the lunch bell finally rang.

I practically ran to the lunch room, taking my seat next to Sam, and across from Danny and Tucker. Tucker and Danny were already chowing away on their lunches, seemingly without a care in the world. On the contrary, I could barely eat the already small lunch I packed. I figured I wouldn't be able to eat, but Sam and her parents insisted I bring something to eat anyway. I picked at the grapes I had brought, managing to down a few.

Tucker spoke up, just talking to the table. "Man. Lancer was harsh today! He gave us another old book to read, and TWO book assignments due at the end of the week!" He grumbled, before pulling out his PDA to make a note for the assignments.

Sam rolled her eyes at Tucker's comment. "Don't you think we have a little bit of a bigger problem here? Like the murderous ghost?" Her question made the table go quiet. It was almost as if you could slice the tension that had formed with a butter knife. "Or I guess we could just sweep it under the rug until something else happens.." She mumbled a bit, munching on her ultra-recyclo vegetarian lunch. Danny and Tucker looked visibly uncomfortable, as they set their lunches down and slowly slid them to the side.

Danny sighed and rubbed his forehead slowly. " Well, I can't exactly do anything right now,  Sam. Once school is over, I'll spend all night looking for the ghost if I have to. But right now, Danny Fenton needs to get his grades above an F." He explained, lowly so no one could eavesdrop. "Believe me, I want this to end as soon as possible. But I can't help it if I can't do anything.."

Sam nodded, as a silent gesture that she understood. I nodded as well, as a sort of way to say that I was listening and was agreeing. I wanted to believe that this would be over soon, but this was something new, something that we might not even be able to handle by ourselves. I frowned, this ghost had actually murdered someone. While our usual ghosts had kidnapped and maybe even hypnotized people once in a while, they've never murdered a living person. Thinking about this physically made me sick to my stomach.

"I think I'm going to head to my next class early guys... I'll see you at home Sam, and I'll see you guys tomorrow." I told them, waving a bit and getting up from the table. They exchanged confused glances but nodded and waved a bit. Although I could tell that Sam knew why, even if she didn't let on. I dumped the rest of my lunch, so Sam's parents wouldn't question it when I got home. I headed out into the hallway, with full intention to grab my things and go around town to find that ghost. Instead, since I was zoning in and out, I ran straight into the janitor.

"Oh, I'm sorry sir I wasn't paying attention." When it came to talking to adults I didn't know, I was a bit skittish. (Ridiculous I know.) Though this janitor was different than the one who was usually there. I glanced over him in confusion. He was much taller for one, and he definitely didn't look like a janitor. Maybe a long haired lumberjack. 

"It's, uh, fine." He looked around the empty halls. "Shouldn't you be in class or something?" He leaned on his cart of cleaning supplies, making himself seem a little smaller, and almost like he was trying to make himself less threatening.

"Uh, right. I was just heading home, cause uh... i'm s-sick." I replied, my face going a bit red from the awkwardness in the encounter.

"Oh, i'll let you be on your way then. Though I have one question. What happened with that ghost attack last night, have you ever heard of anything like it?" He seemed almost too curious in the situation.

I looked at him nervously and shook my head. "Never. We've never had a supernatural murder like that before. Haven't seen a ghost like the one they described in the papers." I brushed past him, wanting to escape. For some reason, he just made me want to get away, as if he was dangerous, even if he looked harmless. "Now if you excuse me I have to get going."

He nodded and waved me off. " Hope you feel better soon kiddo!" He continued on his way after that, like nothing had happened.