☾Son of the Moon | Prologue☽

Start from the beginning

"What?" I asked. "Mom, I'm doing what you told me to do."

"I said leave. Get out of my house."

"Mom," tears were starting to gather in my eyes. "You can't do this, I'm your daughter," I pleaded.

"And I'm your mother," she said, clenching her fist, "That means, in this relationship I am the boss. Not the other way around."

In all my nineteen years of life I had only been left speechless twice. Once was when my parents divorced and my dad got together with a dude, and the other one was when my mom went through her rebellious stages of divorce, coming home with guy after guy.

Well, this fight can be added onto that short list. Because I didn't have a clue how I could respond to that. I knew I had it coming, you can't just add fuel to the flame and know expect it to explode. Except, I knew I was wrong; I was the bomb. My mom was the flame. She set me off, and I destroyed everything in my path. Including my mom.

I stood up and took my dishes to the sink. "I'm sorry, mom," I gasped out with a tear running down my cheek. She didn't reply as I went up to my room. I didn't want to take everything, because I knew I had other stuff at my dad's house. Plus, I didn't want to go through the embarrassment of being kicked it f the house and having three suitcases with me.

I stood by the front door as my mom came to say goodbye.

"Bye, Jennings," she told me with no emotion on her face. "Maybe you can visit for Christmas."

I didn't reply because I didn't want to sound like a five year old girl crying.

"Or not," she finished, patting my shoulder.

"Do you want me to call?" I managed to ask.

She shifted feet, "No, I'm sure you'll be fine. You're an adult."

"Just because I'm nineteen doesn't mean I'm not still your baby girl," I told her.

"Right. Don't forget that I love you, I just need to be alone right now."

"Mom," I told her, turning around, "You'll find a guy that loves you. I mean, you can't help that dad is gay."

She just nodded her head and closed the screen door.

I stepped out onto the sidewalk. I wasn't going to call dad. I was going to figure this out myself, because she was right; I am an adult. And it's about time I start acting like one.

The air was unusually warm for night, having there be no sun. The moon was more of a chiller than a warmer - everyone new that.

About two million years ago, when the sun and moon were made, they say that instead of them being a star or a 'rock' in the sky, they were girls. Goddesses, to be more precise.

Aubade would start the morning, shining light down onto earth for its people and plants. The plants would grow because of her, it would rain because of her, it would be warm because of her. She was life. She was a symbol of life. And people worshipped her as life and went to sleep when she left at night because they were afraid there was no life when she was gone.

Celestial would awake at night, when no one was there. She could play with the other girl and boys, she was alone. Alone with the few people who made mischief at night. She befriended them and watched over them. Even thought they were bad, they were good inside. Just no one knew it.

When Aubade woke up, it was time for Celestial to leave. Saying her last goodbyes to her friends, she walked off in to the day, not to be seen for another half day. Aubade rose and saw what the night lurkers did to the earth; they put paint on the walls, they smashed beautiful art.