Not like other Flappers

Start from the beginning

     "Oh dear, you'll hurt yourself like that! Try taking smaller steps and the pain will ease."

     I took Toriel's advice and tried talking fewer steps and to my surprise the pain slowly faded but it didn't leave completely; it only became tolerable. I continued to walk out of the bedroom as I slowly made my way to the living room where Asriel was eagerly waiting for me. Toriel followed closely to make sure I didn't hurt myself, I could tell she was trying not to show her nervousness for me.

     As I came into view, Asriel looked up from playing with his soldier action figures and ran to my side.

     "(y/n), you're okay! I'm so lousy for taking you out to the ruins where you almost got cut down by that Froggit!"

     I smiled and gave Asriel a hug .

     "Don't worry about it, it's not your fault. Besides, I didn't get "cut down"—that means "killed", right?"

     "Yes it does! I can't believe you figured that out without asking me!"

     I didn't bother to tell Asriel that figured what he meant just by the context.

Toriel insisted that I stay another night to regain my strength before I head to Snowdin and it was late so she didn't want me to get jumped by any gangs.

     "No! I simply won't allow it! I don't want you to leave the ruins in your kind of state right now,"

     "I'm twenty-two years old Toriel, I'll be fine, you put a protection spell on me so that no one can even lay a finger on my me if their intentions are bad."

    Toriel began to falter a bit but tried to keep the argument going.

     "Y-yes that's true...But your leg! You wouldn't want a limp for the rest of your life, you must let it heal properly!"

     Her eyes started tearing up and I knew that something else was bothering her that she didn't want to tell me. I grew silent and stared at her for a few seconds.

     "Toriel, is there something you want to tell me?"

     She began to sniffle and finally caved in.

     "I know that you're an adult and can handle things by yourself but I just can't bare to see another human go and never come back." 

     "Who said I wasn't coming back? I can write to you and Asriel daily and I have a job at your bakery for Pete's sake. You're just worried like any good mother should be."

     "...Oh (y/n) dear I hope your kindness doesn't get you killed out there in the big city!" 

     She hugs me unexpectedly, practically squeezing me as she tried not to start sobbing again. She let me go and ushered me to go dress into something more appropriate before I leave because who knows what kind of harassment I would get as a woman for wearing pants. To be honest it ticked me off that I realized I wouldn't be able to wear the clothes that I normally wear at the surface, but if I want to avoid the constant stares (not that I'm already going to get them just for being a human) it would be best to blend in as possible.

     I put on one of the many outfits that Toriel had specially made for my size and examined myself in the mirror, it's going to take me a while to get used to wearing a dresses and hats for who knows how long. The dress I chose wasn't too fancy, it went down to my knees like all of the other dresses Toriel gave me but it looked a bit more sophisticated and comfortable. I try on the one hat I was given and liked the way it looked, I remember Toriel calling it a Cloche hat. I twirl to see the dress in action and smiled, I never felt so excited to live in a big city despite the fact that I hated working in one on the surface. I walk out of my room to show Toriel feeling like an embarrassed teenager trying on clothes for my mom at the store.