Lead Me Out of the Dark

Start from the beginning

This earned a chuckle from Ragnor. While Raphael was still annoyed, it felt good to hear his old friend laugh. He didn't even realize how much he'd missed that.

"Well, whatever you wish to call this painfully obvious mutual pining, it's alright to allow yourself to be happy, Raphael," Ragnor said.

Raphael gazed at Simon. He clenched his jaw and balled his hands into fists at his sides.

"He betrayed me. I️ can't trust him," he explained.

Ragnor clicked his tongue as he rested his chin in his hand.

"Ah, yes, that does quite complicate things, doesn't it? But you still clearly care about him and Rome was not built in a day," Ragnor said.

Raphael didn't respond. He simply looked down before shutting his eyes tightly as if holding back tears. This prompted Ragnor to continue speaking.

"And, besides, what about Magnus?" Ragnor inquired.

Raphael looked up at Ragnor and shook his head.

"Magnus will be fine. He can take care of himself," Raphael urged.

With this, Ragnor raised an eyebrow, eyes widening in shock at the other's words.

"Take care of himself? Oh, pardon me, I️ must be mistaken. I️ thought we were talking about Magnus Bane not this other logical, competent Magnus you seem to know of," Ragnor joked.

This caused Raphael to laugh, something he hadn't done in a long time. He couldn't deny the fact that it felt good. Talking to Ragnor made it almost feel like old times.

Ragnor smiled, glad to have earned a chuckle from the other.

"But, jokes aside, he needs you to go back. And he isn't the only person you should be going back for," Ragnor said.

Raphael sighed and gave a resigned nod.

"I know, the clan," Raphael acknowledged.

Ragnor shook his head.

"No, not just the clan. I'm talking about you. You will always miss your sister and your old life, but you won't always feel like this. It's worth living, so just give it a shot," Ragnor encouraged.

Raphael looked again toward his own body lying there, where Simon still remained by his side. 

That time, there was a tear that he couldn't quite fight.

"I don't know if I️ can," Raphael admitted, turning back to Ragnor.

The warlock gave him a look of sympathy, placing a hand on his shoulder.

"Well, I've got enough confidence in you for the both of us," he said. "I've seen you during some of your darkest times. You are so much stronger than you even realize."

Slowly, Raphael began to inch his way over to his physical body. There was clearly a lot of apprehension, and, frankly, he hadn't even really made up his mind. He was more so testing than anything else.

He then stopped in his tracks and whirled around to look at Ragnor.

"Wait, but what about you?" Raphael asked.

Ragnor gave an exaggerated shrug.

"What about me?" Ragnor shrugged.

Raphael gestured behind him.

"I️f I️ go back there, then that means I'll never see you again," he contemplated.

Ragnor came closer and lightly touched a hand to the other's cheek before wiping away a tear.

"And here I️ thought you weren't the sentimental type," Ragnor teased, attempting to lighten the mood so it wouldn't be quite as difficult as it was.

"I️ just lost my sister and now I️'m losing you all over again," Raphael said. Ragnor nodded solemnly.

"I️ really am sorry it has to be like this. But you would lose so much more by not going back. And, besides, you never really lost me, Raphael."

At that point, Raphael fully embraced Ragnor, wrapping his arms around him and burying in his head in the other's shoulder. They stayed like that for a while before Ragnor held the other at arm's length.

"Alright then. Are you ready?" Ragnor asked.

Raphael sighed.

"I️ suppose I'm just about as ready as I'll ever be," he said.

Ragnor offered up a slight smile, but he couldn't entirely mask that the moment was bittersweet for him too. The warlock then held up a fist, his knuckles pointing toward Raphael.

"One last time?" He asked.

The vampire felt a mixture of happy and sad tears as he fist bumped the other.

He then made his way over to the other side of the sofa and looked down at his body. This was it. As he began to touch his shoulder with a trembling hand, he heard Ragnor say, "take care! And tell Magnus that the facial hair looks dreadful!"

Raphael then chuckled slightly as he closed his eyes and braced himself.