Chapter Two - Luna

Start from the beginning

"What?"

Vilkas sighed heavily.

"This time, it was more intense. Doc thinks it's because you tried to avoid it for so long. But... you died, Kat. And then you came back."

"I died," Kat stared ahead, mind numb, "What does that mean for the bond?"

"I don't know. No one knows. No one here, anyway." Vilkas rubbed his temples, putting his foot down as the car pulled onto the road.

Kat just gaped wordlessly at him.

"Don't worry, we'll find someone who can help. We'll fix it. We'll fix everything, and everything can be how it's supposed to be." Vilkas spoke clearly, his voice catching on the last few words. A shadow crossed his face.

"Is she-" Kat whispered.

"Still in a coma, yes." His voice turned hard.

"Then there is hope." she said softly. 

"If you say so. Not that you'd know." Vilkas practically growled the words at her. The atmosphere in the car changed instantly.

"What is that supposed to mean?" Kat demanded, icily.

"Have you even been to see her?"

"I-"

"No, you haven't. I understand you have your own heartache to deal with, but Saff is important too. She's important." His voice broke again. He took a deep breath to calm himself. She could smell his grief, his disappointment. She had let him down.

"I know, I can't look at her that way. I'm sorry, Vilkas." Kat was desperate for him to understand. She had seen so much death, she could not stand to see her best friend lying in a coma. Saff was the sassy, strong one. That is how Kat wanted to remember her.

"And if she dies?" His words came out strangled, "Will you forgive yourself for not being there in her final moments?"

No, I won't. 

"I'll make it my priority on our return, I promise." Kat leaned over to squeeze his hand, noting the silence of the bond as their skin touched. She watched him flinch as his bond to Saff punished him, and she felt broken again.

"Get some sleep, we'll be there in five hours."

Kat didn't argue. Exhausted, she settled into her seat, closing her eyes and letting the movement of the car rock her to sleep.

"How old are you?" 

"Sixteen." she stated, bored, as she tried to see his face through the darkness.

"Huh, you look older."

"I'm not."

"What were you doing on our land?"

"Looking for food."

"Not spying?"

"Not spying. I am rogue, who would I spy for?"

He sniffed the air.

"You don't smell rogue."

"It's a newly acquired title." She smiled sweetly.

"You talk awful posh for a kid."

"Thank you."

"What pack kicked you out?"

"No comment."

He gripped her hair, pulling her face to within an inch of his. She finally took him in, laughing. He dropped her sharply on the floor.