Bertholdt starts catching up, his fingers barely grasping at your ponytail. As he lays his index finger on your shoulder, you haltingly turn around and swing your fist to his face. You wince in pain, hurting yourself instead of Bertholdt.

He stumbles on his footsteps, consequently falling to the ground. You run towards him, jumping on top and holding him hostage, grazing your knife on his neck. He tries throwing your body away, but you make sure to pressure as much weight as possible.

"Not bad right?" You say, a triumphant smile plastered on your face. He looks away, blood rising to his whole face. It makes you happy to be in charge, dominating an almost 2 meter human being. You ask yourself if you would also be the leader of the relationship with Bertholdt, but you snap out of your dreams as he snatches the knife out your fingers.

His lingering fingers brushed your hair, messing up the nest of your head as he threw you a shy smirk, "You still need to improve. Don't expect to be in the top 10 with such simplicity." You knew that it would take hard-work to reach the top, but it was infuriating how everybody that crosses paths with you indirectly suggests you should improve your skills.

"Well then teach me, don't just keep preaching." You say, crossing your arms.

"I would, if you would just get o—off me." He says, almost stuttering on his own words. You chuckle at how embarrassed he seemed, before planting a kiss on his cheek.

"You're like a huge teddy bear. A massive, cuddly yet intimidating teddy bear," You murmur before pushing yourself off the ground, pulling his trembling hand to help him up.

"Wh-why'd you kiss me?" He asked, slumping his shoulders forward and concealing his face. He placed his hand on his heated cheek, caressing the spot you laid your lips upon.

You wondered absent-minded whether pecking his cheek was after all worth a shot, "I won't do it again," You say, also avoiding eye contact with Bertholdt. It didn't sting your pride as bad, since you were constantly shut down by every person that erupted butterflies inside you. Thinking your charm would work on an introverted man was a mistake.

With furrowed eyebrows, you bashfully smoothed the wrinkles on your buttoned up shirt, trying to overcome those irrelevant loops of emotion that were gradually banging the little strength you had left. Finally, you pulled off a blunt face, pressing your lips into a straight line.

"If you don't mind, we should pretend that never happened." He wouldn't share a single word, not giving you a clue of what exactly was roaming in his mind.

He snapped his eyes to you, opening his mouth to talk before he was immediately interrupted by Commander Shadis.

"We'll talk later," He said loud enough, you urged your will to want to talk with him in this moment. Nevertheless, you gave total ears to the Commander that was standing in the middle of the field, his palms rubbing together.

The other trainees also paused, silence now filling the whole field in the snap of a second. You could hear Sasha giggling in the other end of the field, munching into a potato she happened to have while sharing a piece with Connie.

Their loud eating overcame all of the birds' chirping, trainees were starting to notice and quickly tried to warn, "You can eat during lunch!" Mikasa said, trying to pull the food out of their innocent hands.

"What is this munching sound I hear?" The Commander yelled, his austere voice echoing the camp. You glared at Sasha as both of your friends threw their snacks far away, cleaning their greasy fingers against their jackets. You mentally scolded them for being such airheads.

"OW!"

All necks turned to face the boy who you hated whole-heartedly. A half eaten potato laid near his polished boots. Jean kept rubbing his head where the potato probably fell upon, flicking a piece of the munched vegetable off his hair. Your fingers tempted you to run towards Jean, just to feel how soft his hair seemed to be, to rake his spiked hair for the rest of the day.