The Skeleton

The Skeleton's PoV

The moment I found myself inside a body, I had a strange feeling. I knew by heart how to talk and walk, but I couldn't remember who I am.

I opened my eyes to see a starry night sky above me. Someone knelt beside my feet; I sat up to see a woman with black hair, slightly brown skin, and a concerned face. I looked at myself -- I am no human at all; I am a skeleton, a human skeleton reanimated by some sort of magic. Glowing white energy lit up the surroundings from within my body. The energy seemed to keep my bones together and help me move my body, like muscles and tendons. Then I looked around and saw the graveyard -- so familiar, yet so distant. I remembered playing with other souls and chatting with them about things that happened before we died, but now I couldn't remember what exactly did we talked about, nor could I see any of them. My memory about my past was completely blank.

"Oh dear," said the woman in a nervous yet relieved tone. "Honey, you're alive. Finally."

"Wait," I said in confusion, "so you mean you're my wife? To be honest, I can't remember anything at all."

The woman was shocked upon hearing this. "You don't remember anything? Poco? Poco Richards? Nancy?"

"No. I'm sorry, but no. For some reason I don't even know who I am," I replied.

"It can't be... Why? No. No..." She took out a booklet and flipped through the pages, as if looking for something important. Then she fixed her eye one one page. Her eyes widened. I could see a mixture of depression, shock, and regret in her eyes. "Dammit, DAMMIT!" She exclaimed. Her voice became shaky, and she seemed to be on the verge of a nervous breakdown.

"Um..." I didn't know what to say. I wanted to comfort her a bit, but I didn't even know what kind of things she just saw. But after a while, she told me the story.

"Sorry, Poco -- yes, Poco Richards, that's your name. And I'm your wife, Nancy. I missed you so much after you died, so I wanted to bring you back. With a spell written in this book." She looked at the booklet and then looked back at me. "But I'm so dumb that I missed a line -- now your memory is locked away."

I looked at Nancy, beautiful, elegant, yet with a downcast and exhausted face, tired after casting the spell and depressed because of regrets. I felt somewhat sorry for her, but I couldn't do anything -- if only my memory could come back right now!

"Sorry, my dear," she said as she started to sob, "I don't think there's a way to unlock your memory..."

I was also stuck in confusion. Should I believe that she's my wife and be with her? On second thought, she may be tricking me into believing I'm her wife and blah blah blah, just to take control of me. Are her words really the truth? If not, who exactly am I? My mind is in chaos with a blank memory and so many thoughts. I need to calm down a bit.

"Um... Sorry, Nancy, but I think I have to organize everything that just happened. My mind is cluttered now," I said to her.

"Fine," she sighed. "After all, this is all my fault. I'll leave now. But, at least remember, Poco Richards is your name." With these words she stood up and left the graveyard.

I stood up, turned around, and looked at the tombstone nearest to me. The tombstone read, "In memory of Poco Richards, guitarist and singer. June 23, 1736. Age 38."

So my name really is Poco Richards, and I was a guitarist and singer before I died. I wondered whether I still retain my musical skills as a skeleton, but there was no guitar here for me to try. I looked around and saw a distant silhouette of an ancient-looking house with lights coming out from the window, so I decided to go there and take a look.