Chapter One

Emma Marsh stared blankly at the world ahead of her. Her teeth gnawed at the inside of her cheek. A habit she had developed when anxiety drove her into deep thought.

"Umm...hunnie." a voice called, breaking her from her oblivious state.

"Hmm?" Emma intoned numbly and blinked. She looked to the woman opposite her and realised where she was.

  It was late evening. The sun, in its last moments, threw up rays that painted the clouded sky with hues of lilac, orange and blues. This natural canvas was the back drop for the many buildings that lined edge of the piazza, where people strolled and lingered in groups, or sat in pairs at tables in front of outdoor cafés and restaurants; like what she was doing now.

  She flipped over the menu on the table in front of her and scanned it briefly before putting it down again.

"I'll have the usual." She said.

"The usual, of course sir." The waiter acknowledged and scribbled the order in a small notebook. It wasn't Emma's first time at the establishment. She made regular visits, and each time she would have the same thing.

  The waiter was a woman in her mid twenties who was dressed smartly in a white blouse and a black skirt that directed attention to her youthful form. "And for you ma'am?" She asked looking at the other patron.

  The woman across the table from Emma gave a shrug. "I'll go with your choice. What is the best the meal on the menu?"

  The young lady smiled. "This weeks special is delicious. I'll have the chef prepare it for you." She made another note then left to deliver the orders.

  Alone now with the tables other occupant, Emma looked to the woman and gave a smile that she hoped would distract from the question that she knew was coming.

"Illman, is something wrong?"

  Emma made the effort to paint on a frown of fake confusion. "Wrong? No, everything's fine. What could be wrong?"

  The woman didn't reply at first. She studied Emma with a penetrating stare for a few seconds, then reached across the table so that their hands would touch.

"You can't lie to me, dear. Please, tell me."

  Emma returned the woman's deep gaze and considered continuing with her lie. But she knew it was fruitless. Besides, she hated the stained, hollow feeling she got when she lied to others. When she lied to her. The feeling of guilt would gnaw at get insides until she decided to tell.

  Emma relented with a sigh and looked away. "I can't help it," she muttered. "I'm worried."

  The other woman looked troubled at this, but then she softened her expression. "The fighting is over, Illman. For now at least. What is there to worry over?"

  Emma looked to the sky with obvious concern. She observed the stars and their light. Every night she would look up. Every night she swore that the were less and less light. And this notion fed her worried mind.
"You know what's out there." Emma finally said and looked back to the woman.

  The woman gave Emma's hand a strong squeeze that said "Everything is going to be alright,". The look in her eyes held a similar sympathy, if not something deeper, and Emma thought she felt her heart lighten by hundreds of pounds. The worry that plagued her seemed to relent and was replaced by comforting love.

  The woman opened her mouth to say something that was to be an additive to the feelings she displayed. Instead, she started rapping.

  Emma woke with a start to the sound of Kardi B spitting lyrics in tune to a sick beat. She searched around on the bed for her cellphone, found it tucked away under her back, and brought the glowing screen close enough for her bleary eyes to make out the time.