Six

K'Ari

I heard knocking on the door snapping me out of my music. I paused my Kehlani song as i walked to the door.

"Uh, ma isn't home" i said surprised to see Dave.

"I know. I came here for you" he said.

"For me?" i asked.

"Ain't that what i said?" he asked.

Back to the old rude Dave.

"What do you want?" I asked.

"Remember you owe me for fucking up my car? Well i need a favor" he said.

"Which is?" I asked.

"I need you to watch Kairi as i handle some business" he said.

"Please" he added.

"Of course I'll watch her" i said.

Kairi seemed like a great kid, and she was adorable.

"Man i preciate you for real. You think you can come over now?" he asked.

"Yeah let me get my stuff" i said.

I went to my room grabbing a jacket, my phone, my charger, and the key to the house. I was comfortable with my big fuzzy slippers.

I came back to the door seeing Dave still standing on the porch.

"You could've came in" i said.

"I didn't want to intrude" he admitted.

I decided to just nod as i followed him into his apartment.

"Damn left my key" he cursed as we walked upstairs to his floor.

He knocked three times on the door and i heard shuffling.

"My daddy said i can't open the door" i heard Kairi's soft voice yell.

I laughed.

"It's me baby girl. Open the door" he said and seconds later the locks clicked and she appeared in the doorway.

"Sorry" she said.

"Don't be sorry, you did as told. You know not to open this door for anybody" he picking her up.

"How long are you gonna be gone?" she asked.

"Couple hours, you better be good for Ms. K'Ari" he said.

"Yes sir" she said.

He kissed her cheek a couple times before letting her down.

"I'll be back" he said to me and i nodded as he walked out grabbing his keys.

"I like your slippers Ms. K'Ari" kairi said.

"Just call me Ari, and thank you cutie" i smiled.

"I have to do my hair, ugh I'm so embarrassed" she said going off down the hall.

Her hair was wrapped in a little blue bonnet. I laughed at her cuteness.

-
I was seasoning wings when my phone beeped. I looked over at the screen to see an unfamiliar number.

Y'all good? -Dave

I quickly washed my hands and dried them on a paper towel before unlocking my phone to text back.

Me: Yes, she's in her own lil world.

I texted Dom and Jayda back as i waited for Dave to text back

She watching that damn YouTube lmao. I'll be back in a few.

Me: Ok.

I locked my phone, and went back to preparing our meal.

-
Just as i made Kairi a plate i heard keys jingling in the door. The door swung open as Dave walked in. He smiled as Kairi ran to him.

"You missed me? It's been like 2 hours" he said.

"So, and Ari cooked" she said.

"You got the whole building smelling good" he said coming behind me to look at the food.

"It's not much, but Kairi said she was hungry so i cooked for both of y'all" i admitted.

"We appreciate it, don't we?" Dave asked K.

"Yes" she agreed making me smile.

"It's no problem, honestly" i said.

I handed kairi her plate as she sat at the dining room table.

"Mmm" she said doing a little dance before picking up a chicken wing.

"Want me to make you a plate?" I asked.

"You've done enough. I'll make us a plate" he said washing his hands.

Oop. I just nodded and watched as he made two plates. He came to the table and sat a plate in front of me.

"Hot sauce please" K said.

Dave put on his wings and green beans before handing it to K. She only used it on her macoroni.

"You weird" Dave laughed.

"Shh" K shushed him as she ate.

I smiled at their interaction as i ate. Dave's phone rang, and he pulled his phone out.

"What this nigga want?" he groaned as he got up going to his room.

I rolled my eyes knowing it wasn't a nigga. I knew that line too well.

"That's Faith. I don't like her" Kairi said.

"Who?" I asked.

"Every time she calls he says 'what do this nigga want?' I've heard her voice though. I just don't like her" she said.

He comes back from the room as Kairi and i look at him.

"What?" he ask and we both just go back to eating.
-
"I wanna say i preciate you again for watching Kairi and cooking for us" Dave said as i placed the dishes in the dishwasher.

"You can stop thanking me, i enjoyed myself" i reassure.

"I ain't had nobody cook for me like this since i was a kid.. Well besides when your grandma cooks" he said.

I noticed something I've never noticed about him, his vulnerability. Here he was standing before me looking like a nervous kid.

"You're so cute" i blurted out.

"What?" he asked smirking.

"N-nothing, i should go" i said grabbing my jacket and throwing it on.

I basically ran out of the apartment and to my house. I unlocked the door, and was relieved that no one was home still. I went to my room and undressed before plopping on the bed.

I heard a knock at the door and groaned before walking to the door. I opened it to reveal Dave once again.

"Look i didn't mean to say that. I don't know why i even-" I tried to explain.

He stopped me by holding up my phone up, and i mentally face palmed myself.

"Ok now I'm embarrassed" i said grabbing my face.

"You good" he said dryly.

I raised an eyebrow due to his mood change.

"Are you sure i didn't make things weird?" I asked.

"Yeah" he replied before walking back to his apartment.

The hell?

I went back to my room and seen i had a missed FaceTime call from Dom. I sighed. Dave must've seen him call. That's why he was being dry. But why? We aren't together, and he doesn't even like me.