Medias Res

"Now, Connie!"

        The girl slid on her knees beneath the HoloPearl's blade, and then, quick as lightning, she whipped around and sliced through its projected body. The hologram flickered and poofed.

        "Well done!"

        Across the arena, Rainbow Diamond beamed at her, deflecting their own HoloPearl's attacks with ease. "Ready to team up?"

        "Yes!" Connie cried, delighted. The fusion nodded and leapt into the air, flying across the arena and floating gracefully down beside her. As the two stood, back to back, Rainbow projected a new team of HoloPearls around them, each wielding its own solid blade.

        Rainbow summoned Pearl's spear and held it tight. They glanced down at Connie and winked. "Bismuth's sword suits you much better."

        "Doesn't it?" the girl agreed. "She's so talented."

        There was the chime of Steven's shield materialising and she turned around. Sure enough, the fusion was now wielding both weapons.

        "Are you going to combine a new weapon??" Connie couldn't keep the excitement from her voice.

        "Maybe~" They stood tall with their feet apart. "Back to me, Connie!"

        She spun back to face the projected army just in time to parry an incoming blow.

        "Almost got you there," Rainbow called over their shoulder, and then there was a tinkling and a flash of light.

        Connie didn't have time to turn around before another HoloPearl advanced, and suddenly they were all crowding in, eager to expose her vulnerability.

        She felt the presence at her back move away, and she threw a frantic glance over her shoulder, searching for the fusion. They were nowhere to be seen.

        A sword sliced through the air and she barely caught it on her own blade, shoving the hologram back. Another flew at her from the left and she swung her sword in a panic, slicing through the HoloPearl. It fizzled and disappeared.

        Now, as she looked up, there were three HoloPearls advancing in a line, each with their swords raised. She couldn't dispatch them all.

        Just as they swung, there was a flash of colour and Connie found herself staring up at Rainbow Diamond. The fusion held a what looked like a pink parasol in their hands, and stood firm behind the shield-like shade as the HoloPearls' blades clattered uselessly against it. When they retreated, the fusion began to spin the parasol, face pinched in concentration. Faster, faster, their hands became a blur, and the vine-like pattern on the shade became all but indistinguishable.

        As Connie watched, the holograms seemed to slide back. Spinning the parasol faster, a whirlwind whipped itself into a tizzy from the surface of the shield, and the powerful gust sent the HoloPearls flying.

        Abruptly, the spinning stopped, and Rainbow straightened, lowering their weapon. They glanced back at Connie with a grin. "So! What do you think?"

        Connie grinned back. "That was so cool! Is there anything else it can do?"

        "Let me show you," Rainbow winked, and, holding the parasol upright, they launched themself into the air, floating gracefully over to the beaten HoloPearls. When they angled the parasol, they dropped to the ground and swung the sharp shade down onto one of the holograms. It fizzled and winked out. Rainbow dispatched the second hologram the same way and then turned to the third, already on its feet, brandishing its sword.

        With a mischievous smile, they plunged the spear-like handle through the HoloPearl's torso, reached up and spun the shade, and the hologram was lifted into the air. While its body remained stationary, the shade spun like the blades of a helicopter, and Rainbow waved impishly up at them.

        The hologram contorted, flickered and was gone.

        The parasol fell into Rainbow's waiting hands.

        With a musical poof! and a cloud of sparkles, the weapon disappeared and the fusion was clouded in shimmering smoke.

        Connie bounded over just in time to fall into Steven's open arms as the smoke cleared.

        "Wow, wow, wow!! You guys were so amazing!" she pulled back and beamed up at Pearl, who looked a little bashful.

        The slender Gem rubbed at the back of her neck. "Yes, well—"

        "Don't brush it off, Pearl," Steven smiled, pulling her into the hug. "They were great."

        Pearl's cheeks coloured and she gave a tiny smile.

        "Can I train with them every lesson?" Connie pestered. "Can I? Please?"

        Steven glanced up at Pearl, who gave a flustered laugh. "I'm sure they'd love to see you again, Connie. Yes. Every lesson. But don't forget to train at home!"

PROMPT: "Aw, we didn't even get to see a weapon! ... A second encore, perhaps?" — for a boi on Fanfiction.net! ( That's their name ;) )
        P.S. Thank you so much for your involvement, despite RQ's canon reveal!! It means a lot <3