CHAPTER 2 Part 2

Author's note: You'll probably notice this short chapter is very similar to the previous one. Well, they were meant to be a single chapter, I just divided it for a more comfortable read. C: 

-----

Alec handled the paper to Nathan, who skimmed through it more eagerly than he'd thought he would.

"Alec Rawls." He read. "Male, eighteen years old based on the date here. And there's an address and a phone number. Maybe we can locate your family with this."

The boy couldn't contain his excitement, eyes shining with happiness and a smile bigger than any other Nathan had ever seen. It was a wonderful sight, and he couldn't help smiling too.

"Let's call them first, so they know we're going. They must be really worried."

"Good luck." The teacher said. "I have other matters to attend, but feel free to come back if you ever need something."

He waved them goodbye and disappeared into one of the classrooms. Alec walked in circles while Nathan dialed the number on his cell phone.

"The dialed number cannot be reached." The male repeated so Alec could hear. "They must have their phone turned off."

Alec bit his lip.

"It's ok, we have their address. C'mon, let's go."

They took a narrow road leading out of town, surrounded by forest and thick vegetation which twisted in several curves into what seemed like a labyrinth. When they reached their destination the sun was already setting. The dim light casted sinister shadows around them, like giants wanting them to go away.

"Are you sure this is the place?" Alec asked.

Nathan pointed at an old post with the name of the road. The two of them left the car to look for the house or any other indication. Alec couldn't stop fidgeting with the hem of his jacket.

"Heh, now that we're here I'm kinda nervous."

The older man put a reassuring hand on his back and the boy leaned unconsciously against it.

As they followed the path, the only house in the vicinity came into view. Broken windows and rotten wood greeted them as the last lights of dusk faded under a thick layer of clouds.

"Alec, I think we should go home." Nathan said, foreseeing the boy's disappointment.

He didn't respond.

"We won't be finding anything here." Nathan insisted. "It's clearly a fake address."

"But we haven't even—"

"Kid, nobody has lived here in decades."

"That you don't know!" Alec shouted.

"I know this is difficult for you, but this isn't the time for a tantrum."

"If only you let me look around!"

The boy's voice resonated in the silence of the night. A flock of birds passed over them, and then more silence.

"Alec, get in the car."

"No! First listen to me!"

"Shut the fuck up and GET IN THE CAR NOW!"

A pair of glowing yellow eyes appeared from the wilderness as Nathan grabbed the boy's arm and dragged him into the vehicle. He started the engine and flew off the damn forest.

"And the next time, you better listen." He lectured his young partner, who kept his arm crusaded whose cheeks were burning in both anger and embarrassment.