Chapter 16// But First it Will Piss You Off

Start from the beginning

The smirk fell off the blonde's mouth when he saw the intensity in Steve's eyes. Billy realized, in that moment, how much Steve had done for the group of rug-rats , and it tugged at his chest.

"So," Billy coughed, changing the topic of conversation. "How're your wounds?"

Steve lifted his shirt and examined the tooth marks that spread out on his side. Billy basked in the sight of pale skin on his belly, admiring the puncture wounds and denying the way it kinda turned him on.

Steve then dropped his shirt, bringing Billy back to reality, and grimaced. "I've had worse, but this time I thought that demo-dog was gunna crush me to death".

Billy's brows knit in thought. He noticed how both he and Steve's life were so similar. They both ended up hiding their dark and painful secrets with this stupid confidant-jackass persona, and always handling things alone, with no one to help or care.

He knew he was an asshole, but with Neal dictating his whole life, he knew how much of a bully he'd become. He'd done some shitty things, and regretted everything he'd done wrong to Steve, not that he'd ever admit that to Steve's face.

"Well, I'm hoping I can help out, er something," Billy offered, longing-albeit secretly- to be part of Steve's world. He said it like it was nothing, like helping out these crazy people fight supernatural shit was a non-issue.

"Yeah, thanks man," Steve said, standing upright, but relaxed. "It'll be nice to have someone a little stronger than a pre-teen helping".

"Yeah, yeah, okay Harrington," Billy waved him off. "No need to butter me up".

Steve chuckled, settling his hands on his hips. A genuine, and rare, smile had formed on Steve's face; it was something Billy never thought he'd see. Steve held on to that feeling, of being happy, for a little bit longer while turning to grab another beer.

"Jesus, Harrington," Billy whistled, looking into Steve's fridge and noticing how it was stocked with beer, and beer alone. Sure he drank, but not for his whole diet! "Got any food in there?"

"Nah, I'm usually at other people's houses during super time, so I've never needed to get my own," Steve said simply.

"Oh yeah? You still hanging with that nerdy chick?" Billy asked, almost too eagerly.

"Nah, she's with that Byer's dude," Steve said gloomily, while he respected the couple, he also hated talking about them. "I chill with the kids, mostly"

Billy chuckled, feeling like a weight had been lifted, and cocked a brow, "You're like their mother, er some shit".

A blush crept up Steve's cheeks at the mention of being the kid's mother. He had been called that before, especially by the kids themselves, and while he couldn't deny it, he hadn't accepted it either.

"'Guess so," he mumbled, using the toe of his sneaker to kick the linoleum kitchen floor. "More like a babysitter".

Billy didn't respond, rather stared. He watched Steve absentmindedly pick his shoe into the floor, his perfectly styled hair a mess now after the attack. The brunette sported his teared up shirt, exposing the cuts in his abdomen.

The sun had set, and the two boys had begun yawing while they chatted, Steve had to flick on the kitchen light so they didn't stand in darkness. It was getting a little too late, yet neither seemed to want to end the conversation; even though just last night the two had ended up fighting.

And while Steve knew he was no where near falling asleep, as he never truly fell asleep, he chose to end the night just past midnight.

"Alright, guess we got class in the morning," He said stretching and yawning, noticing the way his cuts burned slightly.

"So, that's it?" Billy asked, holding back his own yawn. "You just go back to normal after being attacked like that?"

Steve looked to Billy, he had been so used to this kind of thing that he completely forgot how life-changing the supernatural was. Steve's life was forever askew, yet Billy's was just affected.

"Shit, sorry, I forgot," Steve admitted. "We keep this stuff a secret, what with the government on our asses about it." He wondered if Billy would be negatively affected.

"That's messed up, man," Billy sighed, pulling his leather jacket tighter on his body, preparing to go into the cold. He shook his head feeling weird with this new information.

"That's our life now, sorry," Steve said apologetically, and Billy shrugged.

"Whatever, I needed a bit of excitement in this shit hole town," the Californian said. Steve couldn't deny that, he agreed that living in Hawkins was mind numbing. Billy walked to the front door, boots clunking on the hardwood, Steve hot on his heels.

"Okay well, have a safe drive home," Steve said meekly while rubbing his neck. He wasn't used to this.

"Yup," Billy said waving as he exited the house. He hopped into his shiny camaro and rolled the windows down, then popped a smoke in his mouth and nodded at his class mate standing in the doorway as he drove off.

Steve waved after him, watching the exhaust putt from it's pipe on Billy's car. He then shut and locked then door, turned off the kitchen light, then made his way to the shower.

He had washed some of the demo-dog's saliva off in the sink at Mike's house, but he felt like he needed some hot water to cleanse his body. He felt uneasy, all of a sudden, being alone in his house. Like a beast could come out of anywhere and attack him, and then he'd truly die.

Unbeknownst to him, having Billy around had calmed his nerves, gave him someone to rely on.

After scalding himself in the shower, he cautiously made his way into his room-not without checking the house's locks again- and fell on the bed. He was exhausted, yet he knew he wouldn't sleep that night.

Something was on his mind. Something he couldn't stop thinking about.