[ CHAPTER THIRTEEN ]

Start from the beginning

With each step, Astrid could feel her hope slipping away, her mother had told her that sometimes a woman would bleed before labor, but the amount that was flowing was alarming.

It was heavier than her monthly cycle.

As she lowered herself down to the furs, Esther and Rebekah miraculously ran through the cottage door. Rebekah's cheeks were flushed a vibrant pink, her chest heavily rising and falling as heavy pants left her lips.

Clearly she had ran across the village to Esther, perhaps the healer had been at Ayana's house.

Esther was carrying her basket of healing produce, her features stonily calm, surprising Astrid, not that she dwelled on the matter for long as another surge of pain racked her body.

Rushing to the brunette's side, Rebekah draped an arm around her as Esther pushed the furs away from Astrid's legs before she rolled the stained crimson gown up to Astrid's knees.

"It's all right, Astrid. It seems the child is ready to come out." Esther tried to smile, although the distress in her eyes was evident.

Shaking her head, Astrid pointed a trembling finger at the bottom of her rolled up dress. "T-the b-blood."

Esther smiled, pushing Astrid's hair away from her sweaty forehead, the baby hairs sticking to the moist skin. "Sometimes a woman may bleed before labor-." Esther paused.

Taking in the state of the cottage, a sinking feeling flooded through Esther, her gaze flickering between the broken table and chairs, the over spilt pot of porridge and the puddle of blood on the floor.

It was then her eyes landed on the abandoned necklace that sat beside the empty cauldron. Niklaus.

Swallowing nervously, Esther almost seemed uncomfortable as she turned to Rebekah. "My daughter, I need you to fetch Niklaus- urgently, take him his necklace."

Uncertainty laced on her lovely features, Rebekah seemed to not wish to let go of Astrid, her gaze unsure as she frowned.

"But mother-"

Unpacking the wicker basket beside her, Esther stubbornly shook her head. "Now, Rebekah!" She demanded.

Surprised by her mother's sharp tone, Rebekah turned to Astrid, tears clouding her doll like eyes as she leaned down to press a kiss to Astrid's head. "I'll be right back with Nik, okay."

Astrid's lower lip trembled, as if Niklaus would want to come back. He had been enraged, the look of betrayal in his soulful eyes a haunting vision.

If he believed she had been unfaithful with Kol, who was she to say he didn't assume the child was his brother's bastard.

Without another protest, Rebekah rushed from the cottage, holding her skirts in her hand as she sprinted away as quickly as she could, seemingly still out of breath from running back and forth to fetch Esther.

Turning to the brunette, Esther forced a smile.

She had to do this, it was the only way, she would save her son and daughter-in-law the pain she had felt when Dahlia had taken away her child.

Perhaps it had gone wrong with Aslaug, but Esther was certain that the potion would not harm Astrid, just the child that was trying desperately to escape her womb.

Till she came up with a solution for her Dahlia situation, Esther would do what she had to do. And not only that, she was saving the child many troubles, it would be a wolf, like it's father.

Esther may have managed to manipulate Niklaus into wearing his charmed amulet, but the situation and explanation would certainly be harder with a newborn babe.