[ CHAPTER TWELVE ]

Start from the beginning

He could see Kol's lips moving, but he couldn't hear the words leaving his mouth.

No doubt they were smug and conceited, making lewd comments that made Astrid blush profusely.

What the hell was happening to him? His mouth was dry, Niklaus could practically feel the rage flowing through him like molten lava, burning his veins and vital organs to smoulders.

The thrumming of his erratic heartbeat seemed to drown out as he took deep breaths, allowing him to finally hear the conversation between the two.

"You and Nik had a busy morning? Shame I didn't come round earlier, would have been a nice show-" Before any of them could comprehend what had happened, Niklaus jumped up from his seat, his trembling hands- that itched so violently to harm Kol- wrapping around his scrawny neck.

The table flew back from the force, both chairs smashing to the side, barely missing Astrid as she soared back.

With a strength he had never endured before, Nik viciously pushed Kol against the wall, crumbles of stone dusting beneath them from Nik's durable grip.

Niklaus didn't seem to hear his wife's worried pleas, all he could focus on was the burning anger that was controlling every movement and overriding all but one of his senses; protect his mate and offspring.

Holding a hand to her heart, Astrid blinked in surprise, pushing the broken chair leg away from her as she moved her palms to the floor, trembling fingers flattening out as she tried to will her arms to push her up to no avail.

Kol seemed equally astonished, his eyes wide and bewildered as Niklaus tightly gripped the collar of Kol's tunic.

"Stay away from my wife." His tone was uncharacteristically low, reminding Kol of a wolfs possessive growl.

Swallowing, Kol's gaze lingered behind Nik, his attention briefly on Astrid as she managed to slowly pushed herself up to her feet.

As if she was debating her approach, she anxiously reached out for Niklaus' shoulders, her fingertips inches away when abruptly Kol silenced her.

"No don't Astr-" Kol tried to warn her, however, he was swiftly cut off by Nik pushing him further against the wall, hands squeezing at the delicate tissue of his throat, wordlessly warning to cut off his air supply.

When had his brother gotten so strong? Nik had always been a good fighter, he was great at hand to hand combat, skilled with the bow and a sword, but this was not the strength of a normal man.

His angry eyes had an ember glint in the middle of his usually blue iris', a color unlike any Kol had seen before.

The color reminding him of an infuriated flame, flickering rapidly and ready to burn those who opposed it.

Pushing Kol further into the harsh stone wall, Niklaus' grip never lessened as Kol let out a grunt of pain.

"Don't you dare even say her name!" He bellowed possessively, the amber fleck spreading till it covered his whole iris'.

Kol could no longer see his brother's light blue orbs, the strange and dangerous yellow concealing the blue remarkably.

If Nik wasn't squishing his throat, Kol might have even been intrigued.

Astrid jumped at the sudden change of tone, barely recognizing the man in front of her. This wasn't her husband. This wasn't the Niklaus she had known and loved dearly.

"Nik-" Kol choked out, the playful edge to his voice absent.

Shaking his head, Niklaus glowered at his brother, teeth grinding noisily together. "Stay the hell away from her. She's mine."