xxiii. broke my promise

"Ugh, I don't think I ever want to leave," Audrey sighed as she looked around at her surroundings

Audrey and Gwilym walked trough empty streets of Tokyo late at night, hand in hand, on their way to their hotel. Gwilym had not yet told Audrey that he wouldn't be going back home with her the next day. He tried his best to hide the anxiety that was overcoming him, but after knowing him all those years, Audrey could that something was wrong.

"Gwil, are you okay? You've seemed off ever since the picnic," Audrey said, stopping in the middle of the empty sidewalk. She rubbed her thumb on his hand to help him calm to down. Gwilym couldn't deny that it worked, at least a little.

"I-uh...wanted to tell you something," Gwilym spoke nervously.

"Okay, go on then."

"Wait, right now?" Gwilym asked, he could feel his heart beating a thousand beats per second.

"Nobody's here. You know you can tell me anything," Audrey smiled, trying to make Gwilym feel safer. But she too was nervous as to what he would tell her.

"I'm not leaving tomorrow," Gwilym said abruptly, almost wincing at his words. Audrey stared back at him in confusion.

"I don't think I understand."

"The press tour got extended by a week. I can't leave tomorrow," Gwilym muttered. Trying to speak as low as he could, trying to not let Audrey hear him. But she did. And her heart dropped at his words. She couldn't believe. She couldn't believe him.

Audrey let go of Gwilym's hand. The man looked down at his lonely hand, feeling as if his balance were thrown off without her touch.

"What about me?"

"I've arranged a flight for you tomorrow," Gwilym spoke, trying to avoid her eyes which were currently throwing daggers at him. She was not happy.

"What about the premiere?" Audrey asked, her voice low and soft. Her voice told a story, but her eyes told a completely different one. She was heartbroken and angry.

"I won't be able to make it. I'm so sorry, Audrey," Gwilym apologized, his voice breaking. He tried retaking Audrey's hand, but she didn't let him.

"Don't," was all Audrey said, shaking her head. Her eyes were watery. She turned her gaze away from him and began walking away in the direction of the hotel. She wasn't sure if Gwilym was following her or if he was still standing in the same spot, but she didn't care.

Now she did want to leave.

Audrey woke up to an empty bed and hotel room

Audrey woke up to an empty bed and hotel room. Gwilym never arrived at their room. She was a bit worried as to where he was, but she had other things to focus on. Her flight was leaving in about four hours and she had a habit of arriving at the airport at least two hours before the time of her flight. But she just couldn't push away what she was feeling.

Was she allowed to be angry at Gwilym? Was she overreacting? Was she being selfish? Gwilym was on a work trip, after all. But he promised her that he would be at the premiere. He had been so excited to see her on screen and to praise her afterwards; his words, not hers. Now, none of that would ever happen. And where was Gwilym anyways? All these thoughts ran across her head while she packed up her remaining items.

After one last look at their room, now with only Gwilym's belongings scattered across it, she closed the door and left. She didn't even get to say goodbye to Joe or Rami.

A tear managed to stream down her cheek as she stood still on the elevator ride. Audrey quickly wiped it away before the elevator doors opened, revealing the hotel's lobby.

Her suitcase rolling behind her, she made her way across the lobby. She heard a few whispers from guests and staff members, but ignored them. Audrey was used to it by now.

She glanced off to the side, looking at the lounge. There he sat. Gwilym was half-asleep on a leather couch. His eyes fluttered open once he heard the noise of a suitcase coming closer to him. Once he saw her, his eyes widened completely and fixed his posture.

"Did you sleep here?"

"No, Joe let me sleep in the second bedroom of his suite. I couldn't come back to ours because you had the room key. I've just been sitting here waiting for you," Gwilym admitted, now standing up to meet Audrey's eyes.

He noticed the sunglasses that rested at the top of her head. Gwilym knew that as soon as she exited the hotel, those glasses were coming on.

"Oh," Audrey simply said. She didn't show him any emotions, which scared Gwilym even more if she had. "Well, I have to go now."

"Wait, please hear me out. I came here to apologize to you," Gwilym begged, reaching over and grabbing Audrey's hand. Audrey didn't react, she just looked at him. Her eyes looked empty and tired.

"What I did was terrible, I broke my promise. It's not fair to you. I know you worked so hard on that movie, darling. I'm so excited to see it with you, but I can't right now. Im so, so, so sorry," Gwilym apologized, his voice as soft as his eyes.

"I have to go," Audrey said, emotionless. She gave Gwilym's hand one last squeeze before letting go of his grasp and walking away. Gwilym looked at her longingly, waiting to see if she would turn around. But she didn't.

Once she exited the hotel, she put her glasses on and allowed her eyes to become flooded by tears.

Author's note!

THAT WAS SO SAD AND ANGSTY SKSKSK PLS DONT KILL ME