Chapter Four

I wake up in my own hotel room. I feel my head being heavy and hurting. Maybe I shouldn't have drank that much. It was a fun night. A night filled with fun and laughter. Colin is a nice guy. Very sweet and a real gentleman. But I don't think being in a relationship is not what I need right now. The people need me. The soldiers need me. I can't have my feeling get in the way of my goal. I probably should leave today. Out of the sudden I hear a growling sound coming out of my belly. I laugh quietly. Maybe I should get some breakfast first. I step out of my bed. I grab some simple jeans and a t-shirt out of my bag and I put them on. I open up the curtains and open the door to the balcony. I step outside and I see and hear the busy London life. Cars and Taxi's everywhere. People walking towards work or tourists sightseeing the attractions of London. I have a view over the Thames. I see lots of boats. Ones with tourists on them but also a couple from the military. I feel the wind through my hair and I close my eyes. For a second I forget we are at war. The noises of the city are calming me. Fr a second I feel at peace. I feel like there is no hurt and no pain going on in the world. That it's just a normal Wednesday morning. When I open my eyes I see the reality again. There is so much pain and hurt going on. Millions of lives are lost, including those of my parents. A lonely tear streams down my face. I wipe it away and smile. I need to make my parents proud. I walk back inside and close the door. I grab my shoes and jump in them. I grab some money and the hotel key as I walk out the door. Breakfast is all that's going through my mind right now.

I carefully open the door of this little restaurant. There is an old lady behind the bar. She smiles and waves at me. I give a smile back and take place at an table with a window view. I open up the menu. I don't need much time to decide what I want. The lady walks up to my table and gets her notebook and pen out of her skirt. "What would you like to order darling" she asks with a nice and sweet voice. "Can I have some pancakes and a big cup of coffee, please?" I ask and the woman nods her head and writes it down. "I will bring it to you shortly" I nod and the woman disappears into what I think is the kitchen.

I look around the place. It's a small place. Small but cute. It looks like its straight out of those movies. Flowers for the window. There are these framed pictures of customers on the wall. It's quiet around here. Apart from me there is only one other person in the restaurant. The woman comes back out of the kitchen with a plate and a cup of coffee. "Here you go sweetheart" she says with a smile. As she walks back to the bar the door opens. 6 people walk in all wearing black and hats. The face of the lady gets very worried and terrified. I see one of the people reach for their pocket and I see the woman rush to the cash register. I stand up very quietly and walk towards them. As I come closer I notice that the man reaching for his pocket has nothing in them. I clear my throat. "Can I help you?". The lady her eyes get really big and try to tell me to leave. "If you want to stay alive I would go back to your seat lady" says the tallest one of the bunch. I look at him and laugh a little. "Why don't you leave" They are all starting to look at bit angry. "Are you stupid woman?" one of them asks me. "I'm not the one robbing an store without and actual gun to threaten people with" I say and put a smile on my face. "So now you are leaving and never bother this nice lady ever again do you hear me". I see them all nod and try to run out of the restaurant as fast as they can. As soon as they are gone the lady walks my way to give me a hug. "How could I ever thank you enough? Your breakfast is on the house." She says. I shake my head no. "I want to pay for the meal I ordered. What I did was the right thing." She nods and says thank you again. "These man have been here every week for the past coupe of months. They always threatened to hurt my family so I always gave them what they wanted. Little did I know they didn't actually have a gun" she says with a sad tone in her voice. "Why didn't you contact the police?" I ask her. "It's London sweetheart. The police is too busy maintaining the peace then to actually help the citizens out" I walk back to my table to eat my breakfast and go further with my preparations to travel to the front.

When I'm done I leave the money on the table and wave the lady goodbye. I return to my hotel to pack my stuff. When I get into my room I take a deep breath. Sometimes I wish the world was different. That there is no war. Only peace. That every person can be who he or she wants to be. Or gender neutral. That every human can choose who to be and what to do. That there is no hunger in the world. Enough money for everyone to live an happy and healthy life. That there is a job for everyone who wants to work. No discrimination on colour of skin or age. Just that life is better for every human being in the world. Unfortunately I cant change the whole world. But maybe I can make a difference here in England. Maybe I can be an example for others to help to make the world a bit better.

I look around my room. I think I packed everything I need. I put on my shoes and grab my bag. I take the key and close the door on my way out. I walk downstairs and give my key to the reception. When I grab for my wallet to pay for my stay the man shakes his head. "The room is already paid for by an man named Colin" he says. I nod my head and walk out the door. I can't believe he actually paid for my room. I mean I could have done it by myself. I raise my shoulders and shake the thought of him liking me of my mind. So now the next struggle of today. How am I going to get to the front. The train will only get me half way. But now I have saved money not having to pay for my room, I can actually get a rental car and drive there myself. I start to walk towards the city. As I grab my phone I start google maps. I type in rental cars and a list shows up. I pick out one who has the best reviews and I start walking towards that company.

After a 5 minute walk I see the company that I googled. I walk closer to it. When I enter the building a young woman stands up. "Omg a customer. Dad! We have a customer" she yells. A man in I think his middle forties runs towards me and grabs my hand and shakes it. "Welcome, how can we help you? Would you like some coffee or tea?" he asks. "Dad don't scare her" says the daughter with a laugh. "You are right darling." He says and points out a chair. I sit down and the man sits across me. He starts his computer. "What can I do for you today?" "I would like to rent a car." I say. He laughs real quick and then says "That's basically everything we do in this company" I turn a bit red an apologize. "No, there is no need to apologize I was just joking. What kind of car would you like?" "I would like a small car. I don't have that much stuff to take with me" The man nods with an understanding look on his face. " I have the perfect car for you in mind". As he stands up he signs that I have to follow him. We walk throughout the back of the building and walk onto a big parking lot. We walk closer to a cute mini. "Is this what you are you looking for?" the man asks and I look at him with an smile. "It's a gorgeous car but way to expensive. See I'm trying to get to the front to help the wounded soldiers. I don't have that much money on me" The man looks at me with an smile from ear to ear. "How much do you have with you?" he asks. I grab my wallet and count the money in it. "I have 250 pounds. But I also need to buy myself some food." I say with an sad tone in my voice. "Give me 150 and I'll gift you the rest." I look at the man with a shocked face. "But sir, that is way too generous of you" I say to him and thank him a hundred times. "My son is in the army. I just hope that if he is hurt and in your hospital you will help him and his co soldiers as good as you can" He says with an proud smile on his face. "I will do that sir" I say and grab the money out of my wallet. The daughter walks out with the keys. She hands them over and also gives me a card with her and her father's name. "If you see him can you please tell him we miss him and are very proud of him" she asks. "Of course. I will make sure I find him. What is his name?" "Ryan" they both say at the same time. "Wait I have a picture of him around here" says the young woman and she runs inside. The man laughs at his daughter. She runs back with a picture. On the pictures stands a young handsome man. "Your son is a good looking man" I say and a proud smile appears on the fathers face . I thank the man a thousand times and get the keys from the daughter. I throw my bag into the trunk of the car and I take a seat behind the wheel. "Thank you for everything and if I see your son I will tell him you love and miss him" The man nods. "No problem. I like to help the country in these difficult times. I start the engine and wave them goodbye. I continue my journey to the front.