Chapter Nine - Round Eight

Chapter Nine

          I’ve never really understood the meaning behind the compound word star-struck. For one, the two words didn’t match. Frankly, I personally think it’s stupid. And another, I’ve never been… star-struck before. So when we arrived at the villa, perfectly in line horizontally in front of Banks who was waiting at the entrance, I imagined there was some thin laser ray of stupidity that erupted from him that hit the other girls I was with since they stood gawking before him, causing the scowl on my face to stay.

          Only dense people would not notice how all five of them exhibited their fascination on Banks, Kasey included. Her long lashes were clearly batting to infinity. Sure, Banks was attractive. It should be given with his strawberry blonde, always messy hair and his hazel eyes that were surely something you would want to take a photo of and keep it under your pillow so you could look at it before and after you go to sleep. But he’s obnoxious too. And it just cancels out everything.

          As a friend, I tried hard not to laugh and nudge Kasey hard on her side.

          “Good morning ladies.” Banks greeted with a single nod and a smile brighter than Philadelphia. “How are you all feeling today?”

          The black eye I had caused him was there, causing me take a double on him. It felt like I should be worried – extremely. If there was one thing Banks was capable of doing—it was everything… including making it look like he didn’t get any spectacular punch from a half-weird female yesterday.

          All responded with low, sweet murmurs, except me, of course. A small yawn involuntarily escaped my lips and even if I hated Banks, I quickly shut my mouth for respect. Surprised as I was, Kathryn too. Her doll-like gaze fixated on Banks, though it seemed half-uninterested. She smiled when she caught me looking at her. I returned it with a reluctant one. Honestly, I'm doubtful of Kathryn. But I was starting to feel like she really is some fed up girl who just happens to be chosen randomly because of her good looks and decided to get along with it. Maybe she isn’t some fake, plastic, dual-personality bitch who wants to win this thing for money and fame. And that was good… another person in the villa I could confide in – hopefully.

          “What happened to your eye?” one asked. She had long wavy strawberry blonde hair that glimmered under the sun.

          Banks glanced at my direction, and smiled afterwards. “Mishaps, Cassandra… you never know when they’re coming.”

          I snorted absentmindedly. Mishaps, my ass.

          “Anyway, would you all like a tour?”

          I wanted to shout my protest badly. But Kasey immediately held my hand and dragged me along with a bright smile on her face. She seemed too excited about this.

          Banks brought us into our rooms which were on the second level – two in each. Luckily, Kathryn was my roommate. I preferred Kasey, of course but somehow, I didn’t think my days would be as peaceful with her in mind and in the other bed. Still, I was lucky it wasn’t any other girl. Kathryn seemed like the best option given my luck.

          The recreational area was located on the third level including the Gym, Yoga area, Steam and Sauna, and a Thai inspired Spa. The lounge was on the first floor and the kitchen as well, which was facing the lawn where a bean-shaped pool surrounded by beach recliners and white parasols was sited. I know cameras are supposed to be everywhere, but I don’t see any. I didn’t know if I should be relieved or be anxious more.