Zeke's home.

"Hey, you're awake," he said.

"I'm awake."

He rubbed his eyes and plopped down on the bed next to me, falling back so he was laying across it. He threw his arm across his eyes, breathing deeply.

"Hey, you can't sleep yet," I said, poking his side. "You just got home."

He mumbled something unintelligible.

I kept poking his arm. I didn't think he ever felt anything, seeing as his arm was rock-hard. "What did you do this waketime?"

He stretched, sighing as he did. "I went to the northern side of the sector today. I found a metal pot and a set of silverware all in the same home. Rich sons of Cloudians."

I cupped my chin in my hand, tilting my head. I didn't necessarily mind the way these guys lived. They saved me, after all.

"I sold those in the black market for some food. It was a decent trade." He held up his heavy bag.

"You should take that up to Kari," I said. "She was ranting earlier that we were running low on supplies."

He shrugged. "Kari doesn't know I'm home yet. If she does she'll make me stay upladder. But I want to talk to you."

A smile found its way to my lips. "You want to talk to me?"

He smiled back at me, moving his arm from his eyes. "I always want to talk to you."

My stomach got these small little butterflies. Zeke had been making comments like that over the past few waketimes. And I couldn't help but... love it.

"Tell me more about the city," I said. "Maybe something will trigger my memory."

He nodded in response, always willing to tell me about everything I asked.

I laid back next to him as he began.

"Did I ever tell you about the sectors?"

"No," I said.

"When your leg gets better I'll take you on an actual tour. But we, right now, are in the Citizens' Sector. It's the center sector. We, technically, are on the Eastern border of it. And that..." He pointed to the huge iron gate meeting our row of houses. "... is the Eastern sector, the Guard's Sector."

I glanced down my nose out the window at said sector.

Beyond the fence was concrete for a good 200 meters. I've seen groups of Guards collaborating in that space. I've seen them flying their fancy hoverboards, and actually flying in their fancy metallic suits. But no guard ever trained closer to the fence than 100 meters.

About 200 meters past the fence was the first building. It wasn't tall, but it was long. It was used to house the Guard. I had reason to believe there were more just like it, but I couldn't see more of them beyond that building.

Across from that long building was a bigger building where I was sure the Guard had their meals and hung around in their free time.

In case you hadn't already guessed, I was fascinated with the Guard. In times that Kari made me try to sleep but I just couldn't, I would stare out the window and just watch them.

"Why are there kids in the Guard?" I asked Zeke.

He turned his head to me like I had asked him a weird question, but answered nonetheless. "The Guard are their own. Just like the citizens are their own. Just like the Chief Executive and his family are their own."

Tale 2: War of the SeekerOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara