𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐓𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞

𝐂𝐨𝐯𝐞𝐭𝐨𝐮𝐬

THE KNOCKING CAME QUIETLY AT FIRST and then there was silence

THE KNOCKING CAME QUIETLY AT FIRST and then there was silence. The knocking was louder and faster the second time.

"Oi sweetheart its me, let me in!" Marie heard the voice of John Shelby reach her ears as the light of the morning sun temporarily blinded her.

"I'm coming!" She shouted as she tied her dressing gown around her waist, attempting to shield herself from the morning cold as she opened the door to come face to face with John Shelby.

"What...the fuck...are you doing here at this time in the morning?" As she glared at him. There was no softness in that gaze. It was a look that conveyed a bubbling hatred.

"Alright, alright calm down yeah! I came to tell you about my night with Martha." He said she cheeky smirk planted on his face.

"And this story was worth getting me out of bed at..." She paused to check the grandfather clock the was placed beside the door, "half past seven John!" She cried as she rested head against the door.

"I'll go straight after I promise." He held up his hands in surrender before kissing her on the forehead and slipping through the door.

"So how was it?" She sighed as she began to make them both a cup of tea.

"It was fucking great!"

She could feel it. That physical feeling of extreme pain; like you just got a bullet, you get in your chest when you see the person you love, love else. She could feel it spreading through her veins like poison.

"O yeah?" She asked, trying to be nonchalant.

"Yeah going all night long we were." John said, a smug look resting on his face.

It hurt. She could feel the physical aching in her heart.

"Yeah whatever, just promise when you go off and marry her you'll still come round to mine to visit me and my cats on a Sunday to help me knit?" She smiled, trying to stop her mouth from falling as she could feel it pull itself downwards trying to make her break.

He came up behind her, wrapped his arms around her waist and kissed the side of her head.

Turning her to face him so she was trapped between him and the cupboard he said, "look at me."

She lowered her eyes refusing to look at him.

"Hey...hey, look at me" he commanded softly placing both of his hands on the side of her face.

Only when he lifted her head did he acknowledge the tears the glazed her eyes.

"Look...you...you are my best friend. No matter where I am, who I'm with, that will never change. Alright? I promise."

Contentment began to bead Marie's skin like dew on spring grass. She could feel it radiating in to soothe her blood. It formed such perfect spheres, each one like a tiny world of its own. And for a moment. Only a moment.

She believed everything would be alright.