+

P R O L O G U E
L E T T E R
-
J i E u n a e

"It was great, Mom," My brother, Minjun, says—referring to a question my Mom asked about his mission that day.
I roll my eyes, knowing someday she'll ask me the same question.
Everyday I wish we could just be a normal family. I wish we could throw away all this K.L.S stuff. But I know that will never happen. And I know that because of my family. Since K.L.S was created, every single one of my family members have joined. And now, if you're a new born, you have to join.
My parents have been planning the day I would join pretty much my entire life. When I turn eighteen, I'll go to K.L.S Headquarters and join the trainees building. Because all of my family has already enrolled—and because my great, great Grandfather was the creators second in command—I can just join without taking a test. My Mom always mentions something about how loyal my family is and other useless information like that.
"Eunae," My Dad calls, calmly looking at me. "your birthday is coming up soon. What day are you planning on introducing yourself to K.L.S?"
Ah, yes. I almost forgot. My eighteenth birthday is next week, and as you can tell, I'm roaring with excitement. Please note the sarcasm.
"Oh," Minjun happily exclaims. "I'll take you there. I have to go there anyway on your birthday, so it might just be better to go early."
I nod, keeping quiet.
I wish this family actually cared about real things.

I flip another page in my book, engrossed in it.
Because my parents and brother don't like to act like a real family and do normal things, I've taken up reading as a very diligent hobby.
     I slightly jump in my seat when my brother bursts through the door.
     "Eunae!" He yells, excitedly. "Look what came in the mail!"
     I take the letter from his hands. The envelope is gold, shimmering. A tidy, silky, red bow is wrapped around it, keeping it closed.
     It's from K.L.S.
     I open it slowly, reading its contents.
     "Dear Ji Eunae,
     we are very happy to welcome you into our society! Surely you will be very confused—but either way, we, The Headboard, have decided to enroll you into K.L.S before the day you come of age. We know you won't let us down.
     However, because you will become a trainee, you will be assigned to a trainer. The trainer we have assigned to you is different from any other.
     He, like you, is inexperienced in this aspect. You may already know him. He is very famous here at K.L.S.
     He goes by the name of Wolverine, our top Agent. You will be his first trainee, and so we expect great things to come from you.
     Sincerely,
The Headboard."
     I feel my jaw drop.
     I didn't want to do this in the first place, and now I'm doing it early.
     My life is officially over.