Chapter 2

Riminya dropped the papers she held, they fluttered to the floor, her hands suddenly growing cold and beginning to shake violently. The metal clanking underneath her sent a new anxiety lacing through her chest. Her blood ran like ice. 

    There are more of us. More of me. . . 

   She leaned down slowly and picked the papers back up gingerly, as if they'd burn her. She stared at the solemn words. There aren't many left as it is. But there are some. . . 

  Her legs then bolted herself out of the door, her shoulder clipping the door frame and she sprinted down the hall. Her footfalls echoing eerily through the entire mansion. Her heart beat heavily in her rib-cage. She forcefully flung open the door to the armory, letting it slam on the wall, and raced down the steps, skipping one, two, and jumping over the last few to get to the bottom faster. The white marbled walls surrounding her were veined with grey and it blurred her vision for a short second. Then they turned blood red, her pupils slitting. . . 

     She turned the corner and spotted him. Her Dikoni. His pale hands were tying on a leather arm-guard, his snow hair brushing over his eyes as he focused. Riminya stood silently, but his eyes caught her red ones quickly. He looked confused as to why she looked so devilish in his presence. 

     The blood in her veins began to boil at the sight of him, her hair curling in a demonic breeze. Her freezing hands held up the papers as he looked her up and down.

     His blue orbs stopped at the papers she held. Quietly, her name slid off of his lips. 

    She cut him off quickly while her fangs bit into her bottom lip, "How long have you known?" she demanded. Her voice held an edge, one he'd never heard her use before. 

     He straightened his back and faced her fully, setting his jaw straight. "A couple days now." Dikoni's tone held no malice, no anger. It stayed calm and collected as he saw a black aura begin to lurk around her feet.  It slithered around the floor like snakes and they slowly inched their way to him. 

     "There are more demons. . . How many more?" Her fingers came to clutch the papers so hard they crumpled in her hands at her sides. 

      Dikoni shrugged his broad shoulders, the muscles in his arms shifting with the movement. "I don't know how many." The dragon watched as the aura pooling around his feet in a circle began to recede. "I want to find out. I want to go see where they are, how many, what they're capable of." 

     Riminya stood, shocked. The fangs in her mouth sheathed back into their normal state, green and red fought with each other in her eyes, and her aura dimmed to grey and began to dissipate like smoke at it's ends. "I want to go . . . ," she whispered. 

     A smile spread across Dikoni's lips. "Of course, Love." His eyes cast back down to his knife belt strapped around his waist. "I can't just go see a demon race and not take my half-demon spouse," he laughed. 

     As she returned back to her natural form, she mouthed the word spouse. "When do we leave?" 

Dikoni paced through his home, the demon outside sitting in the garden. In the silence, Dikoni called for his maid. Azalea approached him from the kitchen, the french doors swinging and creaking, up the stairs where she stopped and stared. "Yes, child?" she drawled.

     The dragon moved his hand up and pushed his frost hair out of his eyes, his fingers sliding passed his horns. "Azalea, you know of what's in the library." 

     Dark hair fell out from the woman's bun, curling around her face making her look years younger. Her dress was purple today, bringing out the coffee color in her skin and the gold in her eyes. Still standing shorter than the boy she gazed at him like a questioning mother. Azalea dipped her chin down and then back up. "I do know what's in the library." 

     He nodded back, "I'm going to find them. I'm taking Riminya so she can see too, I think she needs this." His eyes cast to the wall where, on the other side, she sat. "And she knows exactly what we're doing. There isn't any way I could stop her from going," he chuckled. 

     Azalea only stood, listening to what he had to say, nodding now and then. Eyeing him. 

     "I'd like you to relay this information to Asger, please. I need to see my mother before we leave." 

      The night dragon dipped her chin once more, signalling her understanding, and back off towards the kitchen she moved without a sound.

      Dikoni called out a 'thank you' as she left. He slowly turned on his heel and paced down the hallway to where his mother waited. 

In between the roses and arches of honeysuckles with their vines pouring downwards, Riminya moved quietly. Her shoes making no sound padding on the stones. Her hands caressed leaves, flowers, vines. Some even stroked her hand back; others, she noticed, seemed to be reaching out to her. Thorns caught at her jeans and vines extended out, grasping at her hair.

    She came upon a patch of yellow roses. Each one glistened with frost and water droplets, the entire bush's leaves bright green still even in the ending of the season. 

     Green orbs traced individual petals one at a time, memorizing their beauty. Each one looked like velvet and she reached out to touch one. Her hands were just as cold as the flower. As soon as she made contact, from the center of the flower, veins of black snaked through it towards the edges. Riminya flinched her hand back and the yellow bled back into the bloom. 

     A tendril covered in thorns shot out from the bush and took hold of her wrist, pulling on her. Riminya's teeth gritted together as she watched the thorns stab into her skin. She fought against it, but it didn't take much to weave her fingers underneath the vine and pry herself free. It recoiled back into the cover of leaves as the demon moved back.

     Riminya turned and looked all around her. Each of the amaryllises in the garden were black as they usually were when she was within their range. Quickly, she moved back towards the house eyeing every flower as she walked. Crazy fucking flowers. 

    As she reached the circle, the amaryllis still stationed in the middle -- it's color darkening as she drew near, and she noticed as the Silver dragon was closing the back door behind him. The light of early morning casting strangely against his hair and skin, shining off of his horns. Underneath his shirt, Riminya could see the perfect outline of his chest. She, for a moment, thought of running to him and feeling every inch. But she stayed where she stood, silent and still as stone. 

      The breeze blew passed her and, even under her coat and layers of clothing, she shivered. She felt completely human standing here in the garden surrounded by flowers that don't die in winter. She felt vulnerable as Dikoni made his way to her, with his now large stature and intimidating height. Not to mention his ice blue eyes, peering though his stark white hair, that pierced through her. In the little light of the morning, he looked like a killer. 

     She watched with a deadpan expression as Dikoni slung a tan satchel over his shoulder along with a bow across his chest, his knives hidden, and a gun in the bag. The little devil moved slowly to pick up a bag that she'd packed earlier. 

      He came towards her, closely, and pulled her in tightly to his chest. His heat radiated from his body and into hers which she took gladly. But it felt different to hold him now after everything she'd seen, everything she knows now, everything she's been through. She was now someone with secrets, someone who knew something that Dikoni didn't. Riminya felt reluctant to let him go, nonetheless. It felt wonderful to be home again, to be loved as if nothing has happened. But those knowings still tore at her mind.