Chapter 6: Lies on Top of Lies

It had been a few days since Madani had asked them to help her find Castle. In that time, not only had they met with Frank, but Dani nearly imploded her relationship with Billy because of it. While she had managed to get back in the bedroom, she still felt the guilt of what she had done and what she was continuing to do behind his back. Billy didn't make it much easier. While on the outside he could appear like he was close to forgiving her, she knew he wasn't ready to trust her completely. She couldn't blame him for it.

She tied her hair up as she finished getting ready. Madani had called them in before they were to go to work to get an update. "Bill, you ready?"

"Almost," he called from the bathroom. He had been on the phone for a half-hour before he could even get in the shower. Some associate of his, an investor that Dani didn't know.

Dani went to the open door and leaned against the frame as she watched him finish up. "You up for this? I can talk to her myself if you want."

"I'm as good a liar as you, darling."

Ouch. "Still, she is government. Wouldn't want you ruining your stellar soldier rep or anything."

Billy shrugged. "Look, I like her. Madani's got ..." he struggled to find the words.

She nodded. "I do too, but if someone in the government finds out he's alive, they'll probably try to kill him again. I can't risk losing Frank over a small possibility that some good might come from Madani getting his testimony."

"He wants to go after whoever this person is, Dani." He turned around to face her. "What if they come after you like they did last time?"

Dani wrapped her arms around his waist, pulling him to her. "Which is another great reason why I insisted you train me. Besides, Frank took out three major gangs in New York within a matter of months. If he goes toe to toe with whoever this person is, then I know who to place my bets on."

_______________

They walked side by side as they got to Madani's floor at Homeland. It was a small office area as far as Dani was concerned, but then again it was more spread out at ANVIL than at most places. Billy and Dani both gave Madani's partner, Sam, a silent greeting as Madani opened up her office door.

Billy took a seat in front of Madani's desk as Dani wandered around. She didn't like being in here, her every move scrutinized. The room didn't lend much in ways of distraction though. No pictures of family, nothing involving the case was out in case of prying eyes. It was clean, organized, controlled. Just like Madani.

"You can sit if you want." Dani snapped back into reality as Madani motioned for her to take a seat. She took it next to Billy. "So, what have you got for me?"

Dani shook her head. "I didn't get anything from anybody."

"My luck wasn't much better," Billy told her. "I reached out to everyone I know who served with Frank. Put the word out I needed to talk. If he's alive, he knows I'm looking for him and he'll reach out. But we're a small community and so far, nothing. I wish I had better news for you, but according to my sources Frank Castle is dead."

Madani's voice cracked slightly. "He's alive."

"Then tell everyone," said Dani. "The more sets of eyes, the better right?"

"I already told you more than I should," she replied.

"Because you thought we could help you. You said that he was hurt. How could you know something like that?" Billy asked her.

"We found evidence of a firefight. Someone walked away bleeding, with help," said Madani. "Two people survived."

Billy nodded. "Well, that sounds like Frank, I'll give you that. Who was he fighting?"