'Can I get you another drink, sir?' she enquired hanging onto the word sir seductively as her eyes bore into Beau.

'Yeah, could I get a Fanta please?' Beau turned his eyes to me questioningly, awaiting my order. She was the deer and he was the headlights and as she fixated longingly on Beau, a surge resembling the green eyed monster stirred uncomfortably in me. Was it wrong to close my eyes and imagine that this particular deer was being mowed down by a Russian military issue tank?

'Can I have a bottle of water please?' I asked as politely as my inner monster would allow. I couldn't have told you our waitress's eye colour, she would have to have looked at me first. With a cheeky smile from Beau, my jealously took a back seat. 'Hey I've got something that will make you laugh.' He just smiled and waited for my next words. 'Right what was the name of you first pet?' I asked playfully.

'Lionel' he replied quizzically with one eyebrow settling higher than the other.

'OK and what was the name of the first street you lived on?'

'Stamford Crescent'

'Well usually that information tells you what your porn name would be but Lionel Stamford sounds more like an accountant then a porn star.'

'Fair enough, what's yours then?' I hesitated for a second, realising the awkward, self inflicted position I had got myself into. I whispered my response incoherently as I took a sip of my water.

'Sorry I didn't quite get that, what did you say?' He chuckled a little too loudly.

'Bubbles Laroue' I said clearly, soon realising how loud I had spoken. I glanced around and everyone had their eyes fixed on me. Beau continued his muffled chuckling. I punched him on his arm playfully, still smiling. I pulled my hand to my face, wishing with every bone in my body that I had the power of invisibility. No such luck! I bet if I were dating Harry Potter I wouldn't have this problem. Where can you find a fictional wizard at short notice to get you out of a sticky situation?

Once the dust of sheer humiliation had settled around me, we continued chatting, swapping stories from our past, and then more hesitantly sharing our dreams for the future. I noticed he spoke adamantly, as though it was a speech meant for many others beside myself. He spoke like his future would always be in the distance, like he would never get there no matter how hard he tried or how fervently he believed in its existence. Without making him aware of it, I starred longingly into those beautiful, crystal, blue eyes of his and watched as a glazed darkness appeared if an element of our conversation touched him uncomfortably. His lips danced as he spoke, every word silently commanding of my attention. His light hearted chuckle when he said something amusing was music to my ears and the slight dimpling of his cheeks as his eyes locked onto mine made my knees go weak – my body's silent approval at my choice of lunch date.

Losing track of time was not unusual for me but I knew that appearing back in class with Beau by my side would begin a whole load of questions that I just wasn't ready for. I raised my watch and tapped the glass. Beau clocked his own watch.

'Oh yeah, definitely time to make a move.'

I reached deep into my pocket and through the handful of chewing gum wrappers and bits of old yellow notepaper. I finally delved deep enough to reach the dishevelled five pound note screwed up at the bottom. I glanced up at the busty blonde waitress at the till, who had absolutely no idea I was standing there. I coughed into my hand and moved into her eye-line to grab her attention. Almost instinctively she shuffled a step sideways, her eyes still fixated dreamily on something behind me. She let out a fanciful sigh from her perfectly formed rosebud lips. What the hell is she looking at? I glanced around and ruled out the robust, leather clad, hairy biker, sipping a caramel mocha in the corner. Chances are she wasn't staring at the withered old man, using a fork to clean the spinach out of his teeth by the toilets either. Then I saw him, Beau, with my camera bag slung over one shoulder, holding the door open with a beaming smile directed straight at me. I glanced back at the waitress. Back off love, if I have it my way he will be mine and mine alone. My vote goes with the biker - enjoy! I thought.

The sunlight flooded into the cafe from behind Beau, creating a heavenly haze around him. I grabbed my bag off the back of the chair next to my seat and hurried after him.

'Grace, do you fancy coming to mine for lunch one day next week?'

'I'd love to,' I gushed, trying desperately to hide my enthusiasm. 'Well, actually, I've got this work party thing I've got to go to Wednesday night. I don't know whether you'd be interested in coming. It won't be that much fun, a bunch of old fogies probably.' I saw an opening and I tried to grab it forcefully with both hands. The reality was somewhat lacking in force though, with me blushing a bright fuchsia colour. Beau took charge and put me out of my misery. He smiled that smile, his welcomed gaze meeting mine.

'I'd love to go.'

X