𝗙𝗼𝘂𝗿

𝙘 𝙝 𝙖 𝙥 𝙩 𝙚 𝙧   𝙛 𝙤 𝙪 𝙧

The Garrison, despite being barged through by a walking bomb the other day, had been cleaned with chairs replaced as if nothing had happened. The Peaky Blinders must have been true to reputation, Adelaide thought, as she walked up to the pub. Her chin was up, hat balanced evenly upon curled brown hair. The only thing that gave her nervousness away was the tight grip she held on her purse, though she suspected that would go unnoticed, given how busy the Garrison seemed to be. Even from outside, she could hear the loud shouting and cheering of the men inside.

With two hands, she pushed open the large doors and stepped through. Her expectations had been wrong. Heads- mainly drunk- turned her way, eyeing the dress and heels with hawk-like accuracy. She ignored them, eyes narrowing, jaw clenching, and a few looked away with a hoot. At the bar, a tall, gangly man waved her over with hands filled with glasses.

"I'm not sure you're in the right place," he said, eyes glancing up and down her figure warily.

"This is the Garrison, isn't it?" she asked, and the man nodded quickly, surprised by her voice. "I'm here about the job as a barmaid."

"Well that's another surprise today," he said and placed the glasses down to lean over the bar so she could hear him better over the shouts. "You're too late, the position is filled."

"Already?"

"Yes, just this morning. Besides, you wouldn't want the job," he said, shaking his head hard, as if he knew it for a fact.

With a hardened stare, Adelaide settled herself on the first seat at the bar, beside a wooden partitioning wall, and dropped her purse to the bench. He watched her with a cringe on his face.

"Well then, I've come this far, I may as well have a drink," she said, meeting him with a raised look.

He began to protest, "I don't think that's the best idea-"

"I'll have a drink," Adelaide said, interrupting him sharply. "Whatever's decent."

The barman slumped off begrudgingly, taking his towel with him, and Adelaide took the time to look around the room. It was packed to the brim- far too busy for the middle of the day. The floors were already glistening and sticky from the spilt drink and the stench of it hung in the air.

"There's the drink you wanted," a feminine voice said.

Adelaide turned to see a glass of whiskey placed in front of her. Behind the bar, stood the person who'd delivered it: a woman, no older than her, with curled blonde hair that fell to her shoulders, resting on a dainty, white blouse. She smiled, face flushed as she took a moment to just stand.

"Thank you," Adelaide said as she brought the drink up to her lips.

"You were here about the job?"

"Mhm, it's alright. There'll be others."

Though there would be none she would take. As she looked again at the barmaid, she noted the slight ruffle of her hair and the odd angle at which her collar fell.

"How has it been in here so far?" she asked, watching as the woman sighed.

"I haven't had a moment to think about whether I'd call it bad or alright."

"I'll say I haven't missed out on anything, then," Adelaide said with a smile.

"I suppose not," the barmaid said with a humorous sound, then she held out her hand. "Grace."

"Adelaide," she said and shook her hand. "You're not from around here?"

The Irish tilt of her words was obvious, though from where exactly, Adelaide could not place.