[ CHAPTER EIGHT ]

Start from the beginning

Feeling her husband stiffen beside her, Astrid placed her hand atop of his. "Very well, Sir. Your son is a true gentleman."

Mikael let out a laugh, ignoring Esther's worried gaze as he placed the horn back on the table.

"That weakling, a gentleman. Ha!"

Silence befell the table, Astrid's brows furrowing as she glanced around her. It seemed all of Niklaus' siblings were looking at their feet, nervously biting their lips while Esther placed a hand on her husband's arm, which he quickly shrugged off.

"Husband, let's not ruin a lovely night." Esther pleaded uselessly.

Niklaus had yet to meet Astrid's gaze, her fingers tightening over his. "Yes, a gentleman. I wish I could say the same for you." The comment slipped from her lips before she could prevent it.

Tension filled the air as Astrid felt multiple eyes land on her, Rebekah's were wide with fear, her lips parted as she pleadingly glanced between Astrid and her mother.

Kol struggled to meet her gaze, his brows raised in surprise as he nervously peered at his father.

Standing abruptly from his seat, Mikael's chair hauntingly scraped against the floor as he scowled. "You dare speak to me with such tone, girl!"

Keeping her cool, Astrid somehow managed to channel her inner-Sigrid as she met the eyes of Mikael. They were bedarkened, stormy with anger and fury.

"Do I need to repeat myself, Sir?"

"Astrid-" Niklaus quietly interrupted, shaking his head as he shrank under Mikael's fiery gaze.

Little Henrik seemed to be trembling, his hand reaching to tug on Elijah's sleeve as he curled into his brother, seeking comfort.

"I will say one thing, girl. You are stronger than my son, not that it would take much. You need to tame the damn girl, boy." His words were spiteful as he turned to Esther. "I'll be at the tavern, wife."

As Mikael turned on his heel to leave the house, slamming the door behind him as he went, Astrid swiftly turned to the table, plastering a smile on her face. "As I was saying, it truly is a wonderful stew."

Kol seemed to have recovered from his shock, shaking his head as he battled the small smile that threatened to rise. "Oh, darling."

From his seat beside Rebekah, Henrik smiled shyly, his cheeks flushing pink when he met Astrid's gaze. "That was something else."

Fiddling with the sleeves of her gown, Rebekah seemed lost for words, while Elijah was looking Astrid with admiration. No one had ever stood up to Mikael.

"You are a very brave woman." Finn uttered quietly, his gaze never leaving the door where his father had retreated.

Esther remained quiet as Niklaus turned to Astrid, frowning. "You shouldn't have done that." He uttered quietly, concern marring his handsome features.

Turning to her husband in surprise, Astrid furrowed her brows. "Excuse me?"

"You shouldn't have spoken to him like that."

Fury pulsed through her veins, was Niklaus really concerned about his pride at that very moment? "He shouldn't have spoken about you like that." Astrid snapped, shaking her head as she pushed Niklaus' hand from her thigh.

"His words are nothing but poison, I have no concern for them. I do not want him hurting you." Niklaus' words were hushed, as if to prevent his mother from overhearing.

Astrid's anger seemed to melt away, her gaze softening as she sent him a small smile. "He won't hurt me."

Before Niklaus could respond, Esther cleared her throat, meeting Astrid's gaze. "You are like your mother in many ways."

Beaming at the words, Astrid smiled. "I could not pray for a better compliment."

"I didn't mean it as a compliment, dear."

Astrid's smile dropped as Kol let out a whistle. "Bit of a low blow, mother."

"Quiet Kol." Esther ordered, ignoring her son's glare as she turned her attention to Astrid. "Your mother was the same. She still is. Too strong willed for her own good. You should be careful, it will get you into a lot of trouble one day. Perhaps gravely trouble."

Before Astrid could respond, Niklaus quickly spoke up, his eyes narrowed. "Mother, I think you should watch your words around my wife. I think your forgetting Sigrid is a mighty shieldmaiden."

Elijah nodded, clearing his throat uncomfortably. "Niklaus is right, mother."

Shaking her head, the smile never fell from Esther's lips. "Perhaps you're right, it seems the ale has gone straight to my head. Forgive me, Astrid-"

Pushing herself away from the table, Esther tucked her chair in. "- I think I should retire to bed, good night."

With that, Esther walked down to the other side of the longhouse, closing a curtain behind her as Kol chuckled. "Well, that went well!" Kol exclaimed cheerily.

"Shut up Kol." All of them, but little Henrik chorused.

Henrik let out a laugh at this, causing Kol to stick his tongue out childishly at him.

"Well, he's not wrong." Astrid smiled, shaking her head in amusement.

...

Staring at the horn of ale in her hand, Sigrid's grip tightened, her eyes narrowed as she cursed Ayana. How could she be so foolish as to send that girl to her house? How imprudent had the girl been running inside her house, to invite herself in and expect Sigrid to help her?

She would be having words with the witch next time she saw her, that would be the last time she would help Ayana.

Sigrid saw Ayana sharing her gift as a betrayal, and Odin knows she didn't do well with traitors. Sigrid saw it fit to give the witch one warning, but should she even go near herself or her daughter, there would be dire consequences.

Her sweet Astrid. Her sweet, stubborn daughter was not a fool. She had known something was off, but had soon stopped asking when she had raised her voice.

With a sigh, Sigrid placed the horn down and walked towards the bowl of water on the table. It was freshly boiled, just as she required.

Removing the curved blade from the sheath on her belt, Sigrid raised her hand above the bowl. With a sudden incision, blood poured from her hand into the hot water.