[ CHAPTER SEVEN ]

Start from the beginning

"Now, look at the target-"

Her gaze drifted to the tree where a carved target hung, dents from the sharpened arrow heads littered its surface. "Now look at the arrow and align it with where you want it to land. Then when you're ready, relax your grip on the string and allow your fingers to slide back. "

As if he sensed her hesitance, Niklaus leaned down, his lips brushing against the exposed skin of her neck. "You can do it."

Trying to ignore the many thoughts that ran through her mind, Astrid let go of the arrow, letting out a breath as she watched it fly towards the target, landing on the edge of the last circle.

Her shoulders slumped in defeat as Niklaus grinned proudly, however, before he could say anything, clapping cut him off.

Leaning the bow against the tree stump, Astrid broke away from Niklaus' embrace to see Kol stood behind her, a grin on his face as he applauded her. "Very good darling."

Astrid rolled her eyes. "I barely hit the target, it was right on the edge."

Shaking his head, Niklaus moved to her side, his arm once again twisting round her waist, Kol's grin falling at the intimate gesture. "When I first shot an arrow I didn't even hit the target or the tree." Niklaus comforted her, his blue eyes soft and full of light.

"Yeah, you should have seen, darling. Very pathetic. He hit the mud." Kol teased as Niklaus tensed, rolling his eyes at his younger brother.

Glancing between the two, Astrid couldn't help but feel the air change around her, hostility lurked. "Like you were much better, you couldn't hit the target for ages- tell me, brother. How long did it take you?" Niklaus teased.

As much as Kol enjoyed teasing and humiliating those around him, Astrid had quickly discovered he didn't like being teased himself.

With a scowl on his face, Kol leaned against the tree stump. "Shut up, Nik!"

Deciding to swiftly change the subject, Astrid sent Kol a small smile. "Kol, did your mother wish for me to bring anything for supper tonight? I was thinking of bringing some bread rolls my mother made for me and Nik."

He frowned at the nickname. "Yes, that sounds lovely, darling. I'll see you tonight."

With that, Kol turned on his heel. Rolling his eyes, Niklaus sighed. "I cannot wait."

Turning to the man who was officially her husband, Astrid frowned. "You are not excited?"

"To see Mikael? Not particularly."

...

Astrid's nose twitched as soon as she entered the house, a strong fresh scent overwhelming her senses. Sat in her chair with a horn of water in her hand, Sigrid had yet to notice her daughter's presence as she stared at the burning sage.

"What in the gods is that smell?" Astrid complained as she took a seat in the chair beside her mother, eyeing the burning herb distastefully.

When her mother didn't respond, Astrid placed a hand on her mother's arm, making the woman jolt and snap out of whatever trance she had been in. "Mother, is everything alright?"

Sigrid nodded, shaking her head as she sent her daughter a smile before taking a sip of her water. "Sorry, child. I seem to have spaced out, It's nice for you to visit, by the looks of things, marriage seems to be treating you well." She commented.

Her daughter looked healthy enough, her skin was glowing and there was no discomfort when she walked, nor was there any visible bruising. Sigrid was glad of this.

"Yes, Nik has been very kind." Astrid admitted, surprised by her mother's comment.

Turning her gaze to the burning herb, Astrid arched a brow at her mother. She had never done this before, it seemed very out of character for Sigrid. "What's with the burning herb?"

"It's sage." Sigrid corrected.

"What's with the burning sage?" Astrid counteracted.

Shrugging her shoulders, Sigrid underplayed the situation, taking another sip of her water. "It cleanses the soul, Ayana informed me." Sigrid finally responded.

Furrowing her brows together, Astrid frowned. "Why would you- mother, is something wrong?"

Before she could respond, the longhouse door flew open, a panting Tatia Petrova in the doorway. She seemed to be out of breath, almost as if she had ran to the house.

Astrid and Sigrid rose to their feet in surprise, Sigrid narrowing her eyes at the sudden intruder. "Is there a reason you ran into my house, uninvited, girl?"

Nodding, Tatia seemed to have caught her breath. "Ayana said you could help me, she said you could s-" Tatia's rushed words were quickly silenced by her mother's sharp tone.

"There is nothing here for you, girl. Ayana doesn't know what she's talking about. Now, leave my property before I make you."

Disappointment was evident on Tatia's pretty features as her lips parted. "But-"

Sigrid took a threatening step towards the woman, cold blue eyes glaring at Tatia. "Do I need to repeat myself, harlot. Now, be gone."

Hesitating, Tatia's doe eyes flickered to Astrid before she swiftly left the cottage, leaving the door wide open. Sigrid let out a low chuckle, shaking her head as she moved to close the door.

"The nerve of that girl."

Frowning, Astrid took no notice of the comment as she moved to stand beside her mother. "Mother, what was-"

"Enough of this, it's getting silly. I won't discuss this any further. Now, do you still want the bread I made for you, I heard you are dinning with the Mikaelson's tonight." Sigrid commented, motioning to the covered basket that contained freshly baked rolls of bread.

Astrid nodded before Sigrid gently placed the basket in Astrid's arms. "Yes please, mother. Everyone knows you bake the best bread in the village, even the bakers!"

Smiling at her daughter's compliment, Sigrid nodded before her lips straightened into a serious frown. "Be careful tonight, okay child?"

Not knowing what to say, Astrid just nodded.