Chapter 32 - Flowers vs. Mountains

Start from the beginning

Jaime gave her the advice she had not thought she needed until she heard it from him. After confiding in her brother's about her fear, they told her that the best thing was to shield herself from death, and she has done so effortlessly for her entire life. It was only recently that Aurelia saw a beheading; her first encounter in watching death. What Jaime said brought a small amount of ease into her heart, as she was aware now that she was not alone; that the feeling was not strange at all.

"I know a thing about you as well." Aurelia pointed out, much to Jaime's amusement.

    "Do you now?" Jaime questioned, his eyes filled with pure curiosity

They do talk to one another about their lives before their marriage, but Aurelia has learned more about Jaime by observing him, rather than talking with him.

"Not really on your fears, but on what you hate." Aurelia clarified, "The word kingslayer." She spoke, which made Jaime's breathe got caught in throat.

Jaime was branded a kingslayer the night when he slay his own King; an act that he has been judged upon for the last eighteen years since it occurred. They say Jaime to be the Golden lion of Lannister, and whisper Kingslayer in his back. Jaime's noticed it, and a bit too much at that. He despised the name given to him, and he has to listen to Robert call him that every single time Jaime's guarding him. Jaime himself didn't do anything to stop people from calling him 'Kingslayer', as if he willfully accepts being called such a thing.

"What are you talking about?" Jaime tried to deviate away from the subject but cannot find any means of escape.

"You don't think I've noticed? The way your lips pursed, your fists tighten, or how your jaw stiffens when someone calls you by that name, especially right in front of you like the King repugnantly enjoys doing?" Aurelia expressed to him, "I think you put up a cold front for the rest of the world to see because you'd rather be viewed as an arrogant person than someone who cares so much." She continued to say, much to Jaime's surprise because every word she has said was true.

Jaime always acted stoic in front of people he did not trust. He didn't want for them to see past behind the arrogant facade he has known all too well. Jaime never confided in Aurelia what truly happened that night he killed the Mad King, assuming she shares the same perception as her father. But she has managed to surprise him every single time. Aurelia never treated her the same way others who does not know him does. Except for that time when they had a small argument at the courtyard in Winterfell before they were to join Robert Baratheon and her parents to be informed regarding their betrothal, Aurelia has never treated him as an oath-breaker. That was when Jaime realize Aurelia was different than the rest, making him eager to know more about the she-wolf.

"You don't know me." Jaime said, afraid of accepting the truth.

"Well, I'm learning to." Aurelia replied,