Chapter One

Porcelain White is the first novel in the Redwood Frontier Series. It follows the long journey to happiness for Isabel Grant and John Webster. At the end of the novel, they share their wedding day with John's Aunt Clara and Charlie Anderson.  Emerald Green is the second novel in the Redwood Frontier series. It brings jealousy and envy to Redwood as the characters bring the town to life. Enjoy!

Emerald Green

Chapter One

First Day of Married Life

Isabel awoke the morning after their wedding in the arms of her husband. She was Mrs. John Webster. It was the best feeling in the world to be lying in their bed in their first apartment alone.

John awoke and closed his eyes with a sense of pure pleasure. He hugged Isabel, and everything felt right with the world.

"Good morning, Mr. Webster," whispered Isabel.

"Good morning, Mrs. Webster," said John.

"What do you think of staying in bed all day?" said Isabel as she turned towards her husband.

"Sounds wonderful," said John.

"Anybody home?" asked a man's voice.

John and Isabel looked at each other when they heard the voice. With reluctance, he sat up in bed and reached for his pants. He found his shirt lying on the floor.

"Hello. Anybody here?" asked the man's voice, yelling louder this time.

John buttoned his pants and fastened his belt. He stepped out into the kitchen with bare feet and scampered to the back door.

"What the hell are you doing here?" shouted John when he saw Charlie standing at the back door.

"Are you going to let me in? It's freezing out here," said Charlie.

Hearing Charlie's voice, Isabel jumped out of bed and searched for her undergarments. Out of the corner of her eye, she stopped in her tracks and stared.

Blood?! NO ONE SAID ANYTHING ABOUT BLOOD, screamed Isabel's mind.

There, on the sheets, were watered-down blood red stains.

How? Why didn't anybody tell her?

Isabel's mind raced with questions.

The colors looked pale compared to when she had her monthly time. Her mother made sure she was knowledgeable on that subject by taking her to speak with a medicine woman at the Dakota Indian village, but this blood was different.

Isabel gathered up the bedding and threw them in the laundry basket. Sitting on the chair next to the bed was a pile of folded white sheets. Isabel picked them up, and on the chair was a note.

She opened the envelope and read, Isabel, don't be frightened. Replace the stained sheets with these clean sheets. Soak the bedding in cold water, and the stains will come out. Don't worry. Everything will be fine. Sarah.

Without a moment's hesitation, Isabel made the bed and stashed the basket of sheets into the corner. She slipped on an everyday dress and hung up her wedding gown. She brushed the crown of her hair smooth, pulled back two long pieces and pinned them secure, allowing her curls from yesterday to flow down her back.

"Good morning, Charlie," said Isabel, feeling shy as she stepped out into the kitchen.

"Good morning, Mrs. Webster," replied Charlie.