Chapter 21

Beth woke with a start the next day, memories a flash, negative and invasive. She growled to herself, at the sweat beading on her forehead, and then moved to get changed.

Upon exiting her assigned tent, she was greeted with the group of O'Driscolls going about their daily activities. It felt good to be somewhere familiar; home for many years.

The people were home, anyway.

"Bethany," Came a familiar voice, one she turned to identify as Johnny, "You're--"

He was cut off by a large hug coming his way, arms wrapped securely around his torso. He allowed her to do so, returning the gesture with a smile.

"You done?" Came his playful tease, watching as she stepped back and rolled her shoulder.

"Sorry, I don't know what came into me.."

Her cheeks were tinted, and Johnny gave her relief as he continued.

"What I was saying, is that Colm is here and needs you. Or, er, wants to speak to you. And something about someone knows you."

"Where is the big boss?"

"Tent on the end. Large one. As usual. Can't miss him."

Beth tipped her hat and walked by her friend, chuckling as various hands ruffled her hat and patted her shoulder, welcoming her back into the community with beaming eagerness.

Lord knows having the competent right-hand of Colm was a blessing.

The flap of the tent was pushed aside confidently as she entered, actions sure and smile bright. That was, however, until she saw them.

On the right was Colm, but on the left? On the left was Robert.

Robert flashed her a charming smile, neatly kept beard accentuating the gesture, and Beth's heart stopped. Her confidence washed away, taking the sureness with it.

"Beth!" Colm greeted, approaching the woman to give her a hug.

She didn't return it, however, and instead stared at Robert.

"Colm, it's, uh... why is he here?"

Her boss backed away and looked to the other man, gesturing his way, "Mr. Volker says you know each other."

"That we do, don't we, Miss Schwipps?" Robert beamed, removing his hat in respect for his old comrade.

"We do. We go back, sir."

"Cute. 'Sir'. I miss you calling me that."

Her face flushed lightly, eyes widening, "Robert, oh my Christ."

Colm merely grinned, "I have to say, it's nice to have you back. Did they hurt you?"

"O-Oh. Not too badly, Colm. Just fucked my side."

"That's good," He gestured for her to take a seat, "This is serious."

Obeying, she took a seat where it was offered and swallowed thickly, "What is?"

"I've had news you've been hangin' around with a Van Der Linde."

Her heart halted, blood ran stone cold. She attempted to swallow, to breathe, but nothing; startled eyes glanced to Robert, who was all too smug about the situation.

"Excuse me? Are you accusing me of what I think you're accusing me of, Colm?"

"I'm not accusing you of anything," He shook his head, "But there's been talk."

"From who?"

"Boys have reportedly ridden by you two. You've been spotted, apparently. And Robert here says it rings a bell."