21. A False Picture

The next morning...

Sheri's POV

Michael always said sleeping wasn't his best sport but he was definitely scoring points that morning! My brain doubled as an alarm clock and I woke up at around 6:30 am. I had my first day at work at Universal Studios—you heard me—on an actual movie set. Not just any movie set though, a Martin Scorsese one! I should've gotten the hell out of bed, but I wanted to lie there next to him for a few more stolen moments. I stared up at him from a tangle of sheets—he was on his side, facing me, lightly snoring away. His hair was a total mess but sleeping never looked so sexy. The early morning sun streamed through the parted drapes, casting lines over him.

Obviously, I took advantage of the moment to drink in Michael's good looks, 'cause who wouldn't if he was lying there right next to them? I let my gaze trail from his closed eyes to his small, perfect nose, down to his shapely, pale pink lips. I let my fingertips initiate subtle contact with 'em to satisfy my urge to kiss him. He has no clue how attractive he is. I wanted to touch him but he looked so peaceful, dreaming away, and I didn't wanna disturb him.

I carefully spooned into him instead and slid my arm underneath his. I smiled to myself. Just one more minute. Then I'm up. His warm, light breathing puffed against the back of my neck, creating tickling sensations. Now I really, really didn't wanna get outta that bed but told myself I would before he'd open his eyes, knowing he wouldn't let me leave.

A deep groan sounded from behind me, followed by a slight movement on his side of the bed, and I knew what was about to happen next.

"Sheri," he yawned, then asked in a raspy whisper, "are you awake?"

Damn it. One more minute. "Mm-hm." I stretched and turned over to face him. He'd moved onto his back, so I slipped myself up onto his chest and leaned towards him to kiss his cheek. "Morning."

"Good morning," he said, attempting a weak smile. I quietly giggled at his sexy morning voice; it was a little deeper than his usual low falsetto.

I folded my arms and rested my chin on them. "You sleep okay?"

He nodded and then furrowed his eyebrows, "it's early."

"I got work," I reminded him.

He absently twisted my curls around his forefinger. "Oh yeah, it's your first day, you excited?"

I answered his question with a shrug. "I'd rather stay here with you if that's what you mean."

A smirk played on his lips and he fiddled with my hair some more.

"But I gotta get up," I said, and without warning, I tried to untangle myself from him but he didn't make it easy; he clung to me right away and I was caught in his arms like a butterfly in a net. "Michael..." I pleaded, and a laugh escaped from me before I could suppress it.

He kissed my shoulder. "Don't go yet."

"I'd stay if I could...but you got rehearsals later on, too." And then you're gonna leave the country for like a year.

He spoke on my bare skin, his voice reduced to a crooning whisper, "I'd cancel it for you."

His fingertips brushed on the back of my hand like a feather. I didn't move and just spent a moment to take on board that this was real. It was actually happening; I found someone who cared and loved me the way I wanted and there I was, starting my day with him. For some reason, I had a suspicion that it was all a damn good dream and I'd wake up any second. But the feel of his body right there beside me was no imitation. It was reality.