Chapter 7

*A/N Dedication to Bronteanne because she rocks. Also, sorry I took so long to update. It won't happen again (probably..maybe...possibly). Anyways, enjoy!*

Ruby

She sat down in the padded leather dining chair whilst James unpacked what they’d bought. She leaned back and watched him prepare the ingredients and utensils.

     “I didn’t know you cook.” She stated, watching him swiftly start peeling potatoes.

     “Yeah. I have done since I was young. Used to cook with my gran; my mother never really got into cooking. D’you cook?”

     “Kind of. I mean, I can do some good dishes but I never cook for anyone other than myself.”

     “Doesn’t Sam live with you?”

     “No.” She murmured, her forearm throbbing.

She sat for a while, watching his efficient movements through his kitchen, he reminded her of a panther stalking its prey through a jungle.

     “How do you like your steak?” He asked suddenly.

     “Um, medium rare please.”

     “That’s going to make my job a lot easier.”

     “How come?”

     “I can take both off the pan at the same time.” He turned and smiled at her.

Soon, the smell of cooking steak and frying chips filled the air. It wasn’t long before James was bringing the chilled wine to the table and pouring them both a glass. He left the table and returned moments later with two plates. As he placed hers down in front of her, the smell became overwhelming and the fact that she hadn’t eaten in four days finally caught up with her. Suddenly famished, she immediately started eating. The steak was almost creamy and to Ruby, it tasted like heaven itself.

They sat eating in silence for a while and Ruby began to daydream. 

She’d just started reading one of her favourite books, “A Tale Of Two Cities” when she heard the key in the lock. She couldn’t think who it would be at 6pm. It soon became apparent when the door burst open to reveal a slightly drunk-looking Sam. He slammed the door shut and stormed over to where she was sitting. He grasped her wrists tightly and pulled her up. She felt a stab of icy fear twist in her stomach. She remembered the last time he’d grasped her like that.

     “Leave me go, Sam. You’re drunk.” She tried to twist out of his vice-like grip.

     “No way. Come here.” He pulled her in closer and proceeded to kiss her harshly. Not passionately, harshly. She tasted the whiskey on his breath. She pulled herself back only to have him pull her back in. She clamped her mouth shut and twisted again.

     “Let me go, Sam.”

He suddenly dropped his grip on her and pushed her back onto the sofa. The fall was unexpected and it knocked the wind out of her.

     “You ungrateful, spoilt, little bitch.” He growled.

He once again stormed over to her and gripped her forearm, hard. Ruby screamed and leapt up, bolting towards the other side of the room. She heard something that sounded like glass breaking but she couldn’t work out where it’d come from.

     “Ruby?” The voice wasn’t Sam’s. “Ruby?!”

Ruby gasped as she was yanked back into reality. She blinked and she was standing in James’ kitchen, staring at a pale and rather worried-looking James. She noticed that there was a smashed glass on the floor next to the table, lying in, what she assumed to be, a puddle of white wine.