Chapter 2: Shadow

Start from the beginning

Sonic was travelling the opposite way that period. He had a computer class to go to. He took his time since he knew that he could get there in a split second at any moment. Along the way he thought back to the other night, when he had seen Amy and a mysterious girl running along the rooftops.

Sonic heard a loud huff then a voice. "Does she really understand or am I talking to a brick wall or something?" Shadow the Hedgehog is walking around the bend, muttering to himself.

"Faker?" Sonic asks as he walks past. He didn't seem to hear Sonic.

"If I don't get through to her..."

"Um, hello?"

"What is it, Faker?! Can't you see I'm busy at the mome-" He suddenly stopped. "Huh?"

Shadow looked up and saw Sonic standing there, looking at him expectantly. "Wha? S-Son-" he stopped himself and coughed. "Um, Faker..."

"I'm sorry. If you're busy..." Sonic turned away.

"W-Wait a second!" Shadow called to him just before he sped away. "I'm f-free right now... Just don't think I'm taking any time out of my day to stand around and talk to you. Speak up."

Instead of just talking to him there, Sonic wanted to talk somewhere else private.

I need to get back to Honest before she messes up.

"Just hurry up and spit out what you're going to say!" Shadow told him.

Sonic nodded. "Um... About Honest..."

Oh, no. He's figured her out!

"Y-Yeah?" Shadow said slowly.

"Have you noticed anything odd about her?"

"Honest seems pretty nice," Shadow said. I can't believe I'm talking about Honest in a good way. "She's cheerful and funny."

"Go ahead and tell me, Shadow. You've fallen in love with her, haven't you?"

Shadow felt a three ton weight fall on his shoulders. He wasn't expecting that!

"B-But, I haven't," Shadow said, only just barely managing to keep his voice steady.

"It's totally fine, Shadow. In fact, I think you complement eachother," he said.

The weight got weightier. C-Complement? Like... complement?

Sonic had been staring at the floor instead of at Shadow. He then looked up as if he had seen the weight drop.

"Shadow!" Shadow didn't even hear her.

"Shadow, let's go home together! I wanna see your house!" Honest grabbed Shadow's hand.

She then saw Sonic. "Oh! Were you and Shadow talking to eachother?"

"No," Sonic said, shaking his head. "You two can go ahead."

"Okay!" Honest said, smiling. "Then let's go home!" Honest pulled Shadow down the hallway. Shadow still felt the weight, but Honest tugged him along with ease.

Once the two had returned to Shadow's house, he was standing at the road, refusing to let Honest inside.

"Why can't I come inside?" Honest asked, looking up at the roof of his house as if coming up with a way to invade via the roof.

Shadow was inspecting the front door as if it would tell him the answer to all his problems. "If I tell Rouge beforehand, then let you in..."

"Hey, Shadow," Rouge said. Shadow jumped three feet in the air. She had snuck up on him.

"I came home early today because the Club is getting new outdoor lights." She then saw Honest. "Oh! Who is this?"

Shadow just stood there, afraid that if he said anything, he might alert to Rouge that something was wrong.

"I'm Honest the Cat," Honest said, sticking her hand out as if to shake the bat's hand. Rouge didn't take it and instead hugged her.

"Oh, you're so adorable! So Shadow finally decided to get himself a girlfriend, and she's so sweet! I guess you're his type, but I've never thought enough about it that much!"

Shadow's face was red. "Rouge," he said sternly. She looked up, not letting go of Honest who was just happy to have a friend. "Hm?"

Shadow hid his face and looked towards the ground. "Honest isn't my girlfriend. She's the author of this story..."

"Huh?"

Once inside, Shadow was standing in the living room, looking at the wall while Rouge and Honest stood behind him and looked at him with confusion.

"Honest is the author and main character of a fanfiction called 'Honesty is the Best Policy', and she is also the author of this story and a main character in it. What's so wrong with that, then?" Rouge asked Shadow. He didn't say anything, so she turned to Honest. She had her face pressed into the back of the couch.

"Nothing is wrong with it," Honest said. "Shadow is just upset that this isn't a serious fanfiction." She then looked back up at Rouge. "What he doesn't get, though, is that it is a serious fanfiction. Trust me: I am already deeply observing character dynamics of Sonic, Amy, Shadow, Rosy, Cream, and Dr. Eggman. Plus, I have another story that's serious, so I want to be able to pause every once and awhile and be silly."

"Amy, Rosy, and Cream?" Shadow asked, still staring at the wall.

Honest ducked behind the back of the couch as if she were hiding from Shadow despite him being turned around currently. "This is the second chapter."

"You didn't do anything before enrolling at school, did you?" Shadow asked, turning around. He was starting to become concerned.

Honest moved her head side to side. It reminded Shadow of the way a hand would move when weighing an apple. "I kind of provoked Mephiles, texted Akane, came out of Amy's phone, and was involved in a high-speed chase scene."

"All in one day, huh?" Shadow asked, narrowing his eyes. Honest was expecting him to yell at her again like he did on the roof of the school earlier.

"One night, actually. I slept in Silver and Blaze's garden shed after that," Honest told him.

A question mark hovered over Rouge's head. "I would love to hear the details, actually."

Honest smiled. "Okay! I need to start having shorter chapters anyway, so I can end this one here and pick up in the next chapter with this flashback."

Shadow walked to a chair and sunk into it. "Okay, but please promise me that once we get caught up, you'll start to write more seriously."

"But I always write seriously," Honest told him. "I just have to be Honest about certain things. I don't want to hide anything from anybody."

---

Don't question my writing style. Anyway, please stick around for the next chapter, where I will give a flashback to all of the things I couldn't write last chapter without breaking the flow.