Chapter 2: Shadow

"What are you planning to do, Honest, suddenly showing up and enrolling here?!" came Shadow's irritated exclamation once they had gotten away from the crowd and made it to a secluded location: the roof.

Honest beamed wildly. "Well, I wanted to get a different perspective on things."

When a 2D heart flew out of her head, Shadow blushed. "What are you talking about?!"

"Why are you blushing?" Honest asked, confused.

"It's nothing. You shouldn't be so nosy," he said, turning around to hide his face. "What's more important here is how you got enrolled."

Honest's tail swished behind her. "Oh! That was easy! When I asked the principal, who is Dr. Eggman in this story, if I could enroll here, he agreed almost instantly. Eggman has always liked me for some reason."

"That idiot Doctor..." Shadow sighed, still facing the opposite direction. "Well, you're here now, and there's nothing I can do about it." He turned around. Honest was watching him calmly. "But even so, you're bound to stand out. Try not to cause too much of a ruckus."

"Huh? Why, though?" Honest asked, tilting her head. Her tail swished again.

"Because! Obviously it would be bad if people found out you are scripting their lives!" he exclaimed angrily.

"But I don't look any different," Honest pointed out. "Remember, I am a Mobian just like everyone else."

"But I know that you will find another way to cause mass hysteria within only a few chapters," Shadow said more quietly. "I just want to know why you wanted me to remember you."

"I wanted someone to be able to confide with," Honest explained. "And I trust you the most."

There was a moment of silence then Shadow crossed his arms. "Anyway, whatever you do, don't do anything to make yourself stand out too much, okay?"

"No problem!" Honest exclaimed, giving a thumbs up.

In art, Honest impressed all of the art students with an in-depth character study of Batbot from Sonic 3. In general music, Honest jammed out to Knight of the Wind instead of doing her work, and wowed many of the boys in the class with her head-banging skills.

Honest shared fourth period with Shadow. It was Algebra. Honest loved Algebra because of how relaxed she could get while working out long math problems. However, since Shadow was in the first year class, Honest got Eggman to put them together even though Honest was seventeen and should've been in the senior class. This meant that Honest could fly through all her work in no time and have leftover time to bug Shadow.

"I can't wait to see all your dynamics with the other characters, Shadow," Honest was telling him. She was sitting on his desk while he tried to work.

Jet the Hawk sat at a desk in the back of the classroom. He stared at them like they were weirdos. "What did I tell you, Honest..."

"Don't stand out!"

And now they were back on the roof.

"I didn't do anything out of the ordinary, though," Honest protested.

"Are you kidding? You stood out like a sore thumb," Shadow said, pointing fiercely at the ground. "You were being as flashy as you possibly could!" Honest looked sad.

"I... maybe I did..." "Exactly."

"Hm..." Honest tried to smile. "I'll be super careful from here on out." She pulled out a pen.

"So... what are you going to use that for?"

Class let out for fifth period. Honest told Shadow that she would be staying in the art room until seventh. However, Shadow had to travel to one more main class. He started on his way towards the main building.