CHAPTER 5/15

Finally, after the last week of exams and empty hours attempted to be filled in with somewhat interesting activities, it was just about summer

Finally, after the last week of exams and empty hours attempted to be filled in with somewhat interesting activities, it was just about summer. Oh glorious summer, the third of June when I was born and began my life. It was also the day the school year ended officially, adding more excitement, at least for me personally.

So far, my day had been generally out of the ordinary. At least five people had greeted me in passing, wishing me a happy birthday, to all of which I'd responded with a startled nod and thanks that I'm sure came off as aloof and cold. Every single time that happened, I internally kicked myself and physically slammed my face against the closest surface to revisit all the reasons why I was never going to be a social person. As I rounded the corner, I very nearly missed slamming into the wall.

"Aw, poor baby. Something on your mind?" As soon as I felt the tap on my shoulder, I turned my head to have a finger collide into my cheek. Once again caught off guard, I stumbled backward, this time the back of my head actually bumping into the wall.

"I don't know if these surprises are even a good thing," I grumbled, gently rubbing the back of my head. At this rate, I was going to be nursing a headache by noon.

"Oh, you'll know after this one," Daniel assured me. "I think you'll like it." I stopped dead in my not-so-subtle attempt to play off the bump I could feel growing larger by the second and winced the moment I realized that it was beginning to throb.

"What'dya get me?" I pinned a large grin on my face. "Is it something that won't make me feel even marginally guilty about taking it? 'Cause so far, that's all I've been getting today." We shared a laugh, him not taking it seriously, and me meaning every single word.

"That's what birthdays are for, silly. Anyway, I noticed that you really like taking photos of pretty things, so I may or may not have gotten you a whole camera?" The way Daniel averted his eyes to focus on the ground told me that he wasn't lying.

"You what?" I almost shrieked. Given that we were still at school, I kept it at a proper level, but it was a pretty loud whisper-shriek in my opinion.

"Close your mouth," Daniel near snapped, covering a hand over my mouth. I tried to pretend that his touch had no effect on me by concentrating on his red hair. "It doubles as a thank you for keeping me company."

"Ooh," I teased, pulling his hand away. "Daniel McGregor the theater and baseball star has a sentimental bone in his body? Wait 'til your fanbase hears about this." Especially as the new transfer, Daniel was one of those people who attracted attention wherever he went. I didn't question the number of people he talked to on a daily basis, but I knew that the statistics were comparable to even Miki's. All this was still going strong despite the fact that it'd been months since he had moved in. Paired with his charismatic nature, he had a lot of students at his side, mostly girls. I'd be lying if I said I didn't mind them.

He rolled his eyes good-naturedly and bent a little to whisper into my ear. "There's only one place I want to hear good things from." I shivered, eyes widening at the possible meanings behind that. Before I could ask him to explain himself, he straightened and shoved a neatly wrapped package into my hands.