Chapter 3 - Death by Groceries

The next day, Solene took her little brother in the local supermarket for a quick shop of produce and fresh fruits. She parked her mother's SUV first near the entrance of the supermarket and hand-in-hand, they walked inside the building with an ecobag in hand.

Solene picked the biggest wheeled grocery basket so that her brother could ride inside it. They entered into the Candy and Chocolate's Section first by AC's insistence. Solene didn't mind as she also loved to buy her favorite chocolate-covered macadamia nuts.

It was past nine in the morning in a Friday so the local supermarket was filled with customers. Some were together with their families and some others were buying alone.

On their way into the C and C Section, Solene noticed a commotion some distance away. It was the manager of the supermarket arguing with the delivery men about the late deliveries. She just shrugged her shoulders, seeing it as a common occurrence whenever she visits the place.

"Nutella!" shouted AC as he pointed to the jar of delicious spread right when they entered their section.

Solene flashed a grin at him. "You want that one?" she asked whilst pushing the cart towards the shelf of Nutella jars.

AC bobbed his head up and down, feeling ecstatic.

With this, Solene reached for a jar—the biggest one in the shelf—and handed it to him. AC smiled the widest smile he could make and hugged the jar into his chest.

"Alright, I'm going to get me some macadamia chocolates too and then we go buy grandpa's fruits okay?" she stated.

"Yes! Yes!" AC answered.

Solene pushed the cart towards the shelf of her favorite desert. In this section of the market, it was only them and two other customers present.

One was a middle aged woman busily comparing a box of Sneakers, her floral dress reminding Solene of her mother's tablecloth in the dining room while the other, was a tall man around his late twenties wearing a dark blue coat with its wide collar covering his profile. He was neither holding a pack of goods or a grocery basket with him. He was just staring at the shelf of chocolate-covered nuts as if the objects were speaking to him telepathically.

Solene noticed the man just as she neared the shelf. She looked up at him, tried to make a friendly eye contact but he didn't bother to face her. The high collar of his coat hindered Solene from checking his features and it hindered her from knowing if he noticed their presence too.

'What a wierd man,' she thought to herself as she continued to park the cart near the shelf.

Right when she reached for the box of macadamia nuts, the ground below her shook. Immediately, she thought it was an earthquake so she grabbed the cart in one hand and then AC on the other and pressed him closer to her.

The shaking continued and it grew stronger and stronger. The panicked cries of customers were heard throughout the building while the goods on the shelf fell fast on the ground.

"Hold on AC!" Solene cried as the ground beneath her roared. Seconds later, a crack on her floor appeared. Then, the nearest shelf of their section fell down. Solene, upon seeing the crack about to swallow them whole, grabbed her crying brother in the hopes of running towards a safe area.

She was too late unfortunately.

The chasm reached her and her footing immediately gave way. In her panic, she let out a high-pitched scream. Her heartbeat triple worked, her pupils dilated.

Just as she was falling down towards the opening together with her brother, she locked eyes with the man. She found him already watching her, the expression on his face showed no concern over the tremors on the ground or the current dire situation she and her brother was in.