Seven

At the end of the class, Mr. Bennett asks me to stay after so that he can speak with me. Thoughts are racing through my mind. Why does he want to talk to me? I gave him no attitude today - in fact, I remained quiet the entire period, not so much as an eye roll. 

I take in a deep breath as every exits, my friends giving me sympathetic looks like last time, as they leave me there. They're probably wondering the same thing that I am. I toss my backpack over my shoulders and approach Mr. Bennett, whom is sitting at his desk at the front of the classroom.

"You wanted to speak with me.." I say in a soft tone, full of nerves.

He looks up at me and smiles. "Yes. I wanted to make sure that you're ok."

Oh! Well that certainly caught me off-guard. I am ok, but why does he care? "Er, yes. I'm fine." I murmur. "Why do you ask?" Why am I feeling so shy all of the sudden? I've been so confident and sassy with him, what changed?

He frowns, obviously not believing me. "You were awfully quiet in class today, no snide remarks. You're also acting rather timid right now."

He noticed? I shrug in response. 

He raises an eyebrow. "Are you sure everything's ok, Allie?"

Allie! Why do I get butterflies when he says my name? I'm not crushing on him, am I? I immidiately shoo away those ridiculous thoughts. Absolutely not! "Everything is fine, Mr. Bennett. But, may I ask you a question?"

He hesitates a moment, possibly caught off-guard, but then eventually nods.

"Why are asking? I mean... Why do you care if I'm ok or not? And don't say you don't care, clearly you do." I speak with a bit more confidence, but not much.

He shrugs. "You may be a pain at times, but you're a good kid."

I can't help but feel disappointed by his answer. Why? Did I want him to tell me that he fancies me? Ugh. Stop thinking this way, Allie! He's an ass, and he's your teacher, you cannot like him! I tuck my lower lip between my teeth and give a nod. "Alright."

He sighs. "I really don't think everything is ok, Allie. Tell me, what's on your mind?"

"Mr. Bennett, I'm going to be late for class." I reply.

He rolls his eyes. "I'll write you a note. What's on your mind?"

You. "I'm just confused.." I say. True.

"About?"

About what I'm feeling towards you and why. "Just this guy." Also, true.

"Is he giving you problems, Allie?" He asks, sounding slightly concerned now.

I shrug. "It's complicated." Very complicated. He's my teacher and he's confusing as hell. 

"A boyfriend?"

I shake my head. "No, he isn't."

"Do you like him? You're being very vague, Allison." Why is he so concerned? This is non of his business! Does he think he's the school psyche all of a sudden? He did say he enjoys our arguements, maybe he wants to help me get over the problem so we can fight more and get me in trouble. But he can't help me with the problem because he's the problem.

I shrug. "That's what's confusing. I don't know how I feel." I really hope he doesn't catch on that I'm talking about him. How would he, though? Plus, guys are very simple minded. They can almost never pick up subtle hints.

"Ah, I see. Teenage years are confusing, luckily you're almost done." He says, finishing with a smile.

I smile politely in return. "Yeah, thank god!" I say with a small chuckle, finally getting rid of my nerves, slightly.

"Alright, then. Time for class. Schauber, right?" He asks, picking up a pen and a pad of sticky notes.

He remembers? All I can do is nod, too stunned to speak.

He nods and proceeds to scribble something onto the small, square piece of paper, then handing it to me. I smile and wave 'good-bye' as I turn to leave the classroom, without a word.

"Have a nice day, Allison." I hear him call. I turn around to see face him and smile.

"You too, Mr. Bennett."

* * *

 Emily is in the kitchen making dinner as I sit at the breakfast bar and work on my homework. Math. I glare down at the worksheet in frustration, this has never been one of my better subjects, my parents have always hired my an expensive tutor to assist me and of course, I get an A+. Nothing lower than an A is acceptable with my parents. They don't even care about my wellbeing, as long as I have straight A's.

"Em..?" I begin, Emily turning around to face me in response.

"Yes, dear?" She asks.

"Um.." I take in a breath. "Have you ever... Had a... Liked... A teacher before? Er.. In high school?" Why is this so hard to say? I don't like him. I don't have a crush on him! I hate him! But he was so sweet earlier! Shut up! He was just being nice. Right?

Emily blushes and adds a small giggle. "Yes, as a matter of fact, I had a massive crush on my basketball coach back in my freshman year. Why do you ask?"

I shrug, the only response I give her. Emily raises an eyebrow, suddenly intrigued. Great, now it's my turn for the questions... 

"Do you fancy a teacher, Allison?" She asks in tone which sounds almost like Olivia when she asks about my sex life.

"What? Oh! No!" I utter, all too quickly, sounding unconvincing.

She raises her eye brow once more. "Oh yeah? What's his name? Is it your math teacher? You've been working quite hard on math lately, is it to impress him? It so is! Isn't it?" I like this side of Emily, the less motherly side of her. Her girlish, friendly side.

"No!! He's old." I scoff. Mr. Roberts? Gross.

"Well then, whom? Tell me!" She says, in an almost whiney kind of tone.

"Nobody!"

"I don't believe you."

I roll my eyes. "Look, he's just attractive. And young. But he's a jerk! He is completely unreasonable! A total pain in my ass!"

Her eyes widen. "Oh my god! You have a crush on the teacher that gave you detention? How cute!!"

I scowl at her. "No! I just said he was attractive. Although his shit personality completely ruins his face."

"You're in denial." She winks.

"Am not! Make my dinner." I pout, trying to get her to knock off the taunting.

"Fine. But you like him." She give me one final grin before going back to the stove.

I do not like Mr. Bennett! Do I? No! I don't!!!