Sore Subject (10)

The next morning, Cosette woke up to Ginny shaking her silly. Normally she would just poke her a few times but she was in a hurry for whatever reason. Ginny made her get up, saying that her dad was in the commons and needed to talk to her immediately. It was very early, so she knew that it was important and changed her clothes quickly before heading down. She was glad she did because he walked her out of the common room after shooting a glance at a few students in there. He didn't say anything to her until they got to his office when he explained everything that had happened that night.

He told her that his theory about Sirius had been confirmed and he had spoken to him last night. He also told her everything that had gone down with Snape and Pettigrew and the ministry, and that she shouldn't worry about what she hears from the papers. Cosette finally asked him where Sirius had gone, and by the smile that formed on his face, she knew that she would like the answer. He was at his house which meant that she would finally be able to meet him.

She felt like nothing could kill the mood she was in, that was until she got to the great hall and everyone started staring at her- some in disgust, some in fear, and others in curiosity. She was about to ask George why, as he was walking towards her quickly, but before she could say anything he grabbed her by the arm gently and led her back out. He let go of her when they got a little ways away so that he could tell her what happened.

"Snape told everyone that your dads a werewolf," He told her, watching her face turn into one of surprise. "We should go let him know."

Cosette just nodded her head, not sure what to say or do. Part of her was worried that he would be upset by the news because that meant that she was half werewolf and she knew that in some peoples eyes that was a bad thing. When she didn't start walking with him, he noticed instantly and turned around to face her. He could guess what she was thinking, and instead of saying something to her, he took her face gently into his hands for just a moment and gave her a comforting smile. That told her exactly what she needed to calm down, and she was too relieved to freak out about how sweet he was.

He took her by the hand that time as they headed towards her dad's office, and she did her knock which made him open the door instantly. She nudged George when they got in, knowing that he could better explain the situation to him than she could. Cosette let her mind wander while they spoke back and forth, zoning back in to catch her dad say her name, though she didn't catch what he had said after. George smiled and shook his head, and she noticed his hand go to the back of his neck. He did that a lot and she couldn't help but find it completely adorable for some reason.  His response was that he didn't mind and he understood why she didn't tell him, so she figured that he had asked him if he minded. 

Cosette understood why her father decided to quit his job there. No matter how much he loved teaching or how well he was at it, there would simply be too much backlash from the parents. She also understood why he wanted to pull her out early as well, and so did her friends. They all couldn't care less, except Darcy. She had been friends with Darcy for years and had never told her a thing about it and she was angry with her about it. 

On one hand, she understood why she never said because she was a pureblood with pureblood values but at the same time she was disgusted and felt lied too. She didn't even bother to let Cosette explain when she came to say goodbye, she only told her that she didn't want to talk about it or to her at all. One thing Cosette hated more than anything was fighting, and Darcy had a short temper, so she dropped it and deciding to just owl her about it when she got home. She knew that Darcy would eventually forgive her, but she also knew that it would take time and if she tried to bother her about it then than she would just get angrier.

"Do you think we'll see her again?" Ginny asked her brothers as they walked back to the castle. They had gone to see Cosette and her dad off.

"Of course," They answered at the same time. 

"Did you ever find out anything about her being... you know?" Fred asked her, which made George scoff.

"She wears a necklace," Ginny said, watching both their eyes snap from forward to her. "But I didn't see what was on it, and I don't know if its that kind of necklace. She could just like it for all I know."

"Do you know her middle name?" George asked curiously.

"I thought you weren't entertaining the idea?" Ginny teased. 

"I never said that, just that I didn't want to talk about it."

"Marlene," Ginny answered, "I would also like to point our her dads."

"Okay, stop," George said suddenly. "I don't want to talk about it, alright?"

"I thought that-" Ginny started, but George interrupted her too.

"That's all you can do- think- because you don't have a soulmate and you don't understand," He snapped. He didn't know why he was so defensive about it, but he wanted to figure things out for himself and not have them do it for him. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to be like that but I don't want to talk about it."

"It's okay," Fred answered, "We know it's a sore topic and we'll drop it. I just don't want you to let this opportunity pass you by. She's perfect for you, mate."