Close Your Eyes, Mr. Player ~ Chapter 4

Start from the beginning

I scoffed. "Jesse, you can not think that after everything you've done to me, you can just apologize and everythings okay!" I said loud enough to earn a few glares as well. 

"Melody-"

"No!" I said, taking a step back as he reached for me. "You're an ass, Jesse. The only reason you're talking to me right now is because you lost almost every single one of your friends. And what happens if you see again? Back to normal, I guess," I said before stepping around him, and walking back to Lucas. 

He looked over at Jesse and frowned. "What the hell does he want?" he asked, sneering at him from over my head. 

I just shook my head and quickly texted Damien. He was in fact, kind of my friend. I told him to come get his friend before he knocks over a bookshelf, and stuck the phone back in my pocketLucas lifted one eyebrow at me. "It's nothing. Trust me," I said quietly. 

We dropped the subject and quickly went back to searching the shelves. I found a book I definitely wanted to read. Sherlock Holmes. I never really wanted to read it before, but now I was feeling different. This year, I felt open to new things which included a book that everyone had told me was crap. I doubted that was true, but I'd check it out just to be sure. 

When we were back on the couch, Lucas continued to look at me. "What the hell is going on with you and Larson?" he asked me, his arms crossed over his chest. 

Lucas had never liked Jesse one bit. Neither did his twin brother Darren, but they both pretended to anyway. Well, Darren did. Lucas kept it simple and didn't talk to him at all. "Nothing, he just... I don't know," I said, shaking my head. And it was true. I didn't have one clue as to what was going on at all. I didn't understand why Jesse was being completely crazy and talking to me, after he knew who I was. 

"Your a terrible liar, Melody," he said with a simple head shake. I stuck my tongue out at him earning a pleased laugh. "Whatever, we don't have to talk about it," he said, flipping his newly chosen book open.

I grinned. "Good."

We spent the rest of the period simply reading in silence. It didn't take long for Damien to come get Jesse and leave. I was glad when he did. The feeling of him lurking around wasn't exactly comfortable. I didn't even understand why he had bothered to apologize for Palmer's behaviour. It's not like he'd ever made an effort to apologize for his own behaviour.

"Do you want my opinion?"

I looked up at my friend and smirked. "What do you mean?" I asked, a bit confused.

Lucas sighed and dropped his book on the table. "I think Jesse is just looking for someone innocent to use because of his new found problem. You, my friend have innocent written all over you," he said with a teasing nudge. "You should just keep away from him altogether."

"He's harmless," I said, not fully believing my own words. But I stuck to them. Jesse was only human, and he must have a really screwed up life to act the way he is. "But you're right. I should."