Chapter 1: Batman

Natsu sighed and looked at the wall.

He had heard it many times before.

Way too many to count.

The shouting of anger from him, the screams of pain from her, and the beatings.

The gruesome beatings that he couldn't help but picture inside his mind.

He should help her.

It would be the right thing to do.

Just storm in there and beat the shit out of her boyfriend.

He would be able to.

He had seen them both many times.

The man didn't have shit on Natsu.

But he stayed inside his own walls, listening, hurting in silence alongside with her.

"No, please," her voice was breaking.

Her cries got lower, and it was Natsu's cue to walk out on his balcony.

He stayed inside for the beatings, but her cries getting lower meant her being moved into the bedroom further away from their shared wall, but he could still hear her cry for a while.

And then silence.

Always silence when her boyfriend finished whatever he did to her in the bedroom.

He left his apartment in darkness, and sat outside in the warm night, looking out at the city.

He counted the seconds in his head.

Seconds that turned to minutes.

Waiting.

He was always waiting.

And then the door to their balcony opened, and she came out.

She was in a pair of blue panties and a black tank top.

Sleeping clothes.

Or maybe whatever had been nearest when she left the bedroom after her boyfriend was done, her hair was a mess.

It was always a mess on nights like this after having fought against her boyfriend.

He watched her through the darkness.

He always did that.

He never told her he was there.

He felt like a creep, but to be fair, he was always out there before her.

He wanted to talk to her.

He wanted to tell her everything was gonna be alright.

He just didn't know how.

Instead he watched her, and he had been doing so ever since he moved in seven weeks ago.

She was beautiful to him.

The regular girl next door with straight, sparkling blonde hair and shining brown eyes that always seemed so sad, and he understood that.

She lived with an abusive asshole, so of course she was sad.

She never wore makeup, and she hid away in baggy clothes and flat sneakers, and still he could never take his eyes off of her.

"How's the city tonight, Batman?" She asked.

He looked at her leaning over the railing. She turned her head and stared directly at him through the darkness.

"It's kind of creepy how you're always out here watching me. I thought if I gave you enough time, you'd actually start talking to me," she said.