Chapter 8: Getting Hit By News

Melvin's Pov:
George is acting really weird today. I mean sure, he has been energetic and playful but, today. I don't know how to describe his behavior. He seems like something caught him off guard or scared him so much, his personality changed. I entered my first class of the day and sat down in my chair. I laid my head down on the desk as I sighed. As his best friend, I really should worry about what's happening. I have to return a favor for what he did yesterday anyway. He was very kind and gentle to me after what Harold did to me. As soon as I thought about him, I saw him walk through the door. I looked up to see him glaring at me. "Don't bother playing any jokes, Hutchins." I spoke up as I looked away. "As if I was," Harold responded before sitting down in his seat. "Besides even if I did plan anything, what would you do? Tattletail on me?" He teased. 'This guy doesn't let Middle School go that easy.' I thought, sweating a bit. "Just forget it, you never stop being so annoying." I groaned as I opened my notebook. "Funny you say that considering me and George used to say that about you." He responded, chuckling a bit. "I know, he tells me everything now." I reply without looking at him. Even if I didn't look at him, I feel him about to say something before stopping. He always does this. When I mention something about George and I's friendship, he is about to say something before he cuts himself off. But, why does he do that? Does he want to mention how George used to do that to him? Is his weakness the past of their friendship? Does he miss how George used to talk to him?

I look at the board where the teacher wrote multiple parts of important information. I tried copying it down as fast I could because in High School, notes really just mattered. Test coming up? Notes. Don't remember something? Notes. I bet it'll be much worse in College. So much worse if this drama between us three continues. But, at the same, it won't be so worse. I don't blame Harold if he feels jealous or something like that. Just knowing your old best friend does the same thing with their new best friend that they did to you. Kinda breaks you because to you, it was a special thing between you guys. Now, they moved on and they trust someone else. George moved on from Harold and trusted me. I guess 'moving on' doesn't fit it with George. I mean, he sometimes doesn't sleep because of his old best friend. The memory of what happened doesn't leave him. He even admitted it to me saying that he misses Harold. But, why? Why miss someone who broke your heart and ignored you afterward? That logic doesn't make sense. Why do bad memories make you do crazy stuff? Why do bad memories last longer than good ones?

"Melvin Sneedly." The teacher called and I looked up quickly. I heard a few students chuckle but, I just brushed it off. It was a typical thing to do if a student spaces during a lesson. "Are you paying attention?" Ms. Rose asked, sternly. "Yes, I was taking notes." I responded while showing her my notebook which was written on. "Good but, the Principal did call you through the intercom." She added as she pointed toward the door. "Oh, she did? Should I take my stuff?" I asked, getting up hesitantly. "Considering how long students take in the Principal's office. You probably should." She replied, smiling a bit. I nodded and smiled a bit at the joke as I grabbed my things. The Principal here wasn't mean like Mr.Krupp but, she definitely took her time with students. Whether the situation is good or bad. I slightly bowed and walked to the door. I was about to open it until someone hit me with a paper ball. "Harold Hutchins, seriously. Behave yourself." The teacher scolded and I looked back to see the paper ball. I grabbed as I stared at him with anger which he replied with a smirk. As soon as I went outside, I put my stuff down and opened the paper ball quickly but, carefully.

"Did you get tattle-tailed on, Sneedly? Karma got you for her debt?"

I crumbled the paper ball up again and threw it into a nearby trash can before getting up. I made my way to the Principal's office as I looked behind to see the trash can.

"I'm not like that anymore. I'm not that immature boy."