"You did not know this?" He asked. I shook my head slowly in disbelief, sinking my seat.

Alex was one of them.

Alex was a vampire.

But how? He didn't act anything like a vampire. He was too sweet, too naive, too... beautiful, I realized, looking up to stare out the windshield. It fit together now. The reason why Alex was gorgeous and always had been. No scars from acne, no need for expensive facial cremes, skin treatments, tans, or anything.

Alexander was naturally beautiful. He was naturally intelligent.

"Alexander is the only son of the Grey family," Kristophe went on, making me glance up to look at him, "Storm is the only son of his family as well. Long ago, Alex's father, Kornelius, was threatened by Vladimir for not doing a well enough job as his subordinate. Kornelius grew fearful and discovered that Vladimir was searching for a mate for his son, Storm. They needed a pureblood male. The other clans worked to produce a male, but their females either refused or gave birth to females. Finally, after two miscarriages and a female, Kornelius and his wife managed to produce a male heir. Enthralled, Kornelius called a meeting with Vladimir, offering their son as a truce. I'm sure Alex doesn't know that part of the story. It'd be rather heartbreaking to know that you are nothing, but a contract to your parents, so let's not spill those can of worms, shall we?"

"Anyway," Kristophe explained, "Alex and Storm were betrothed, two days after Yule. December 23rd. Since then, Alexander's parents have been preparing him for his handfasting with Storm. They are to become one and create a clan of powerful half-bloods. All males. An army under Vladimir's control, of course. That is where I cannot sit back and let this happen."

"Vladimir may be an overcontrolling tyrant, however, he still follows the laws set down by the first of our kind, by the Celtic Druids. We are not to attack healthy humans. We are not to expose ourselves to them. Mostly rules of those sorts. We were to co-exist with the world, but why? That's my question. Why should we, powerful and beautiful creatures, live as equals, side by side, with humans? Humans are our sustenance. They are our food. Do you see humans living in pens with cows and pigs? No. So why should we do the same? It's like placing a starving dog in a room with food and telling him he cannot eat it. How is that fair?"

The way Kristophe explained it made sense and I was horrified by that. He was smart and he was strong too. He was good at explaining things and I found myself nodding slowly at everything he said.

"Zephyra's main goal is to put humans in their place. They are lesser beings. We are gods compared to them. You cannot force a king to live with his subjects. It's unheard of. That is why Zephyra needs an army. That is why Zephyra will conquer the Court of Seven, starting with the death of the heirs of each clan, leaving them helpless." He concluded. My stomach churned a little at that as I nibbled my lower lip, almost cutting my lip open with my fangs, making me grimace.

"And Alex?" I asked uneasily. Kristophe smiled.

"He is lucky that you love him so. He will be safe and sound and belong solely to you, Nicholas."

"You won't hurt him."

"I swear by the Goddess' name that we will not harm your lover." Kristophe promised as he pulled off onto the exit ramp, stopping at the red light as traffic zoomed on by. We sat in silence for a while until another question came into my head.

"Can't they just reproduce other heirs?" I asked. Kristophe smiled as he pulled out onto the main road going into Red Field.

"Producing purebloods is a lot harder than producing humans or half-bloods. Half-bloods are just bitten and turned. Humans are made through sex and take nine months to develop. Purebloods, however, are a lot harder and take slightly longer to develop. Because our bodies are fueled by blood and being with child takes up a lot of that, a pureblood mother would need at least triple the amount of blood she normally intakes. Let's take your lover, for example..."