2. Wife

„ K-kids ? We have... ?"

„Yes. A girl and a boy. Hyunjae and Haneul. I took them to my family's place..."

We have kids... We have a family...

You quickly tried to focus again.

„That means... I'm the working parent and you're the stay-at-home parent ?"

He smiled at you getting more talkative.

„ We threw a coin when they were born. And you got the number."

What kind of mother am I ?

„I'm just kidding, Honey. I mean... Y/N.", he said and his expression got serious again.

„There were times when my job would get a little dangerous. It was my own decision to change this. You are going to meet them soon. There's nothing to worry about. You're the best mother in the world."

He stroked your shoulder and then hugged you.

„I was so worried about you..."

You freed yourself and took a step back.

„I'm sorry. I know I don't look like it. But right now I'm sixteen. And you're a stranger ! I don't know anything about you or our story ! I don't even know myself ! I'm sorry. But please accept that I can't be close to you right now."

You bowed down and went to the guest room to sleep separatedly from Xiumin. You heard some noises, as if he was moving stuff. After a few minutes you heard him knocking on the door.

" Can I come in ?"

" Don't get me wrong, but... I'd prefer to be alone right now."

He didn't respond for a while, but you weren't sure if he was gone. You saw something being pushed through under the door. It was a photo of you and Xiumin standing in the middle of a group of emperor penguins. Nothing but snow in the background. You loved penguins more than anything else. You had always wanted to see them in their natural environment.

You opened the door, but all you saw was another photo on the floor. Followed by another one and another one. It was always you two at different places. You picked them all up and followed the trail until you found Xiumin in the living room.

„You're right. You don't know anything about me. That's why I want you to get to know me. And I want to get to know sixteen year old Y/N. Because I think that she's just as nice as my wife."

There was a bunch of photo albums spread on the floor. You sat down next to him and curiously looked at every page he showed you. Pictures of journeys, parties, trips or just lazy days at home. You two had done the craziest things. It was incredible. You weren't a person who had a lot of friends. You had thought that nothing exciting would ever happen to you. He took his time to explain everything.

„The South Pole."

„Uh huh."

„We really went to the South Pole ! I can't believe it, I mean...."

„It's just as true as the fact that I have eight brothers."

„Please don't joke. I'm confused enough."

„Now it's your turn. I never got the chance to meet sixteen year old Y/N. What can you tell me about her ?"

„ I don't know how I managed to change so much. But if you had known me at sixteen, you surely wouldn't even have noticed me. Believe me."

You started telling him about your wallflower status at school. That people talked behind your back and that it was hard for you to make friends. Hesitantly at first, before opening up more and more. And he listened to you.

Your head was full of thoughts when you tried to sleep. You imagined him helping you do all those things you'd normally be scared of. Karaoke performances and December swims. You imagined him taking care of the home and the kids so you didn't have to give up your career. But you mainly saw how caring he had been the whole day. You were wondering if you were a good wife.

He's doing all that for me. I should pull myself together.

The next day Xiumin woke up to a nice smell that came from the kitchen. He found you cooking at the stove.

„Good morning, Y/N"

„Good morning... Dear."

He gave you a surprised look, but you kept looking at the food.

„ You were right. We both have to get to know each other. And I want to put a lot of effort into it, just like you. So please consider me your wife. And show me what we usually do. It might be weird at the beginning, but... I really want to remember."

He gave you a soft smile.

„Y/N... That means a lot to me."

„How do we spend the mornings ?"

„First... I'm the one who cooks. But if it's always going to smell that tasty, go for it."

You still couldn't believe that all of this was true. You kept looking at him while you two were eating, and he seemed to notice.

„Do you need something, Y/N ?"

„No, nothing." You looked away.

„We're married. It's okay to stare at me if you feel like it."

" I wasn't..."

The doorbell rang and Xiumin stood up to answer the door. You followed him and saw a truckload of men coming in without asking. They even had little kids with them.

„Xiumin, you're home !"

„Where's Y/N ?"

„We heard what happened. How are you two ?"

„Uhm... guys, it's not exactly the best time for a visit. I thought you'll just bring the kids back.", Xiumin said.

Nevertheless he greeted the three kids with a smile and hugged them.

You stared at everyone with wide open eyes.

„Now that you're already meeting... those are my brothers. The uncles of our kids.", Xiumin said to you. „Junmyeon, Yixing, Sehun, Chanyeol, Kyungsoo, Baekhyun, and Jongdae. Jae Yeol, Junmyeon's son, and Baekhyun's twin girls Su Bin and Su Mi. You're going to meet your other nieces and nephews some other day."

Darn it.

It was not a joke.