Girl in the rain part 1

Start from the beginning

"And the night grew blacker as she walked through the crowds of people, longing to get back to the place where she could rest in his arms again. She wanted to feel the steady beat of his heart as she lay her head on his chest. Tears began to well up and spill over her eyes and roll down her cheeks at the thought of him. She had missed him too long. Almost half the year had gone by without him. Wuth the war going on, it was hard to see someone who was fighting to the deaths. But he was on his way home. He would be waiting for her as soon as she walked through the door. She started to run. Run as fast as she could. To see the sparkling eyes, dark hair and fair skin of her husband..."

The girl who stole her book, Sarah, stared at her after reading that. She had lost her father in the war in Afghanistan. Cassandra knew she would hate her more for bringing back the unintended memories.

"You don't know what it's like.. How could you? You've never had someone leave for the war. You've never been married. You never will!"

Sarah's eyes began to water, just like the girls in the story Cassandra began to write.

"I'm sorry, Sarah.."

What else could Cassandra say? There was nothing to do for bringing back the thoughts of her father who had now left this earth.

"Go fuck yourself."

She threw the book at Cassandras face and stormed out of the room. Cassandra stood up and picked the paper that fell out of her book off the floor. The teacher dismissed the class.

"Cassandra. Stay behind."

Cassandra walked up to the the teachers desk on the front left side of the room and stood there looking down at her feet.

"Yes, sir?"

"Was that your writing?"

"Yes. It was."

Cassandra looked worried. Would he give her a detention for making Sarah cry? Would he ring home and talk to her mothr about it? Would he-

Her thoughts were cut off by his next sentence.

"I want you to enter a creative writing competition, Cassandra."

"What? Me?!"

Her eyes widened. Why would he say that? Her writing was her own personal thing. She didn't want to share it.

"I can't. It's something I keep to myself. I mean, no one would read it anyway and it would be a waste of time if no one read it and-"

"Cassandra, your writing is amazing. You really should share your talent. It's very rare someone your age can write in the view from other people, especially from things you haven't experienced.  You have a real knack for it. Now you should be heading off to lunch. I'll get a form to your tutor teacher for you to fill out. Goodbye!"

Cassandra walked to the top of the hill. She always took the long way home in order to avoid people. Someone Cassandra had never seen walk this way was walking on the opposite side of the road. Cassandra walked faster. Who was it this time? Was he going to verbally or physically abuse her? Was he going to shout crass things or punch her?

"Hey!"

Cassandra speeded up. She didn't need another person on her case.

"Hey! You there! Excuse me!!" Called the boy.

A hand wrapped around Cassandras wrist. She turned around with her eyes closed. She didn't want to have to witness yet another person who wanted to hurt her.

She felt the back of someones soft fingers caress her cheek. Just one touch sent shivers down her spine. She had never felt such a feeling before. It was as if a ball of light was traveling through her. She opened her eyes. The boy was a lot taller than her. She barely came up to his shoulders. He had short, blonde, curly hair. His eyes were a dark hazel colour but they sparkled every time the sunlight hit them. His eyelashes weren't too long but they were full and dark. His lips were a soft pinkish colour.

"I.. I know you must get this all the time but.." He stuttered.

"But what?" She replied, looking deep into his eyes.

"But.. But I just wanted to say that I thought you were the most beautiful girl I've ever seen and even though.. Even though we've only just met and I'm new here, I was wondering if you wanted to.. Maybe.. If you wanted.. to go on a date with some time?"

"Wha.. uh.. really?!" Cassandra exclaimed.

He looked down at his feet as a small smile appeared on his lips. He looked back up and into her eyes, biting his bottom lip.

"Yes, silly. Of course!"

Cassandra couldn't believe it. She had to pinch her side just to make sure she wasn't in a dream.

"Well, yes, I will go on a date with you!"

"Great! Where abouts do you live? I could drop by on Friday around seven and we could go out somewhere? For dinner perhaps?"

"I live at 92 Macands road. It's just round the-"

"I know where that is. I live there to!" He replied to Cassandra with a grin on his face. "We could hang out more often that I was expecting!"

They walked down the road. He held her held and intertwined his fingers with hers. This was the first time Cassandra had felt wanted. She felt loved. She felt like the worlds luckiest, most important girl. Someone actually wanted to talk to her. He wasn't being forced to partake in a conversation but he genuinely wanted to be in her company.