Chapter Three

With many years of experience, I had my first day routine down to a tee. That morning, I woke up, rifled through my suitcase for an outfit that wasn't too wrinkled, and applied a thin layer of makeup before making my way downstairs, stopping every few seconds to make two small braids in my hair, one on each side of my face. In the kitchen, I kissed my dad on the cheek before grabbing an apple and a granola bar before heading out the front door.

"Careful out there!" Dad called after me. "And have a great day, sweetie! I love you!" I threw a thumbs up over my shoulder to let him know I had heard, but didn't turn around.

With the help of google maps, and a kind deli owner named Mr. Delmar, I arrived at Midtown High ten minutes before the bell. I had just enough time to find the office and pick up my schedule before first period started.

As I entered the school, I slowed down and looked around for someone to ask for directions from. I was about to approach a large Filipino boy who was leaning against a locker when a boy in a stiff-collared polo shirt sidled up to me and stuck out a hand to shake. "I see you're new," he said. He spoke in an obnoxious, holier-than-thou manner, and I instantly disliked him. Instead of responding, I simply raised a brow at him and started to speed up, even though I had no idea where I was going. The boy sped up alongside me, talking as he walked. "My name is Flash," he said, "and you are?" "Y/N," I muttered, but didn't shake his hand. Seeing a door marked 'OFFICE', I quickly ducked inside to avoid another awkward encounter with Flash. God, that kid was weird.

PETER'S POV
By the time the new girl walked into the office, I was already there, chatting with one of the office ladies. The new girl entered quickly, but her confidence dimmed as she approached the front desk. "Hi, um, I'm new here? I was told I could come here to get my schedule," she said.

"Name?" The office lady didn't look up from her computer as she spoke.

"Y/N Y/L/N," the girl responded promptly.

The office lady printed out a small half sheet of paper and handed it to Y/N. "Y/N, meet Peter Parker," she said, gesturing gruffly to me. "Peter will show you around. Coincidentally, you two have the exact same schedule. Now skedaddle, before you're late to class."

I didn't need to see her schedule to know where to take her. Quickly, I checked my phone for the time. We had two minutes before the bell. Ignoring formalities, I grabbed Y/N's hand and pulled her out of the office, sprinting down the hall. "I'm Peter, by the way," I planted as we skidded to a stop in front of first period Biology.

"You're late." Mr. Vasquez, our no nonsense biology teacher, crossed his arms and glared at me. I opened my mouth to explain, but Mr. Vasquez put up a hand. "No excuses, Peter," he said.

"Yes, sir," I mumbled. "Very sorry, sir. It won't happen again."

"See that it doesn't," Mr. V grumbled. Turning to Y/N, he said, "And who might you be?"

Y/N squeezed my hand nervously, and that's when I realized that my fingers were still entangled in hers. I moved to let go of her, but she only squeezed tighter, so I stayed where I was. "I- I'm Y/N," she stuttered in response to Mr. V's question. "I'm the new student?" She had a tendency to raise her voice at the end of her sentences, as if she was unsure of what she was saying.

"Right," Mr. V nodded and pointed to an empty seat a row away from mine. "You'll sit over there, Y/N. Share a textbook with a neighbor for now."

Y/N made her way to her desk, and I slipped into my seat next to Ned, who was staring at me, wide eyed. "Dude," he whispered, "what the hell was that?"

I shook my head. "I'll explain later."

-time skip to after school-

I ended up not showing Y/N around all day. After first period, she started walking with some other guy to our next class, not even bothering to acknowledge me.

To be honest, I was kind of pissed. "I was supposed to be the one to show her around," I complained.

"You're only mad cause the guy she's with is really hot," Ned said, "and you think she's pretty."

I couldn't deny that Ned had a point. Y/N was pretty. But I wasn't mad because Andrew Morrison was good looking. I was upset because I thought the hand holding incident in Biology had meant something, but I guess it had only meant something to me. "Who knows?" I sighed. "I'm overthinking this."

A/N: I'm so sorry for the long wait (and the boring chapter), but I have a new posting schedule regarding Wattpad and this book! I plan on uploading a chapter of this book every weekend :) See y'all next week💜