Close Your Eyes, Mr. Player ~ Chapter 3

Start from the beginning

The voice was louder and more beautiful than ever now. I felt a smile creep onto my face as the sound washed over my like a cool shower. "Wow, she's good," I said, still clutching my friends shoulder. 

"Jesse, do you know who that is?" he said. Before I could answer, the music cut short, and I felt Damien stiffen under me. 

~Melody~

"What are you guys doing here?" I said, practically shouting up at Damien and Jesse who were standing at the top of the stares. I couldn't help the blush I felt forming on my cheeks. They had heard me sing. I looked over at Hannah who instantly paled. She just shrugged, before standing up from her seat and running out of the theatre. 

Damien started leading Jesse towards me. "Well, we heard you, and he wanted to come in and hear it up close and personal," he said, patting his best friends back. 

I nodded, still feeling a little shaken. "Oh. Well, that'll be five bucks," I said with a grin. Jesse smirked and I suddenly felt a sense of relief. Had he actually found that funny? Jesse Larson thought that something I said was actually funny? 

Oh yeah. Still doesn't know its me.

"Don't have it. Maybe I could have your name instead," Jesse said, motioning for Damien to help him down the stairs. I watched as they both made their way down, before stepping up onto the stage. Damien turned Jesse so he was looking right at me, even though he couldn't see me. It made me feel a bit better to at least talk to his face. "Damien, you can go, man. I'm sure mystery girl here can help me to class," he said with a smirk.

I smiled and turned to Damien. "It's alright, I'll help him," I said to Damien. He nodded and patted Jesse on the back before climbing back up the stairs and leaving the theatre. "Wow. He's a really good friend to help you out," I said to Jesse, making sure I stayed in front of him so he'd know where I was. 

He scoffed. "Yeah, unlike those other lowlifes I used to call my friends," he said, most likely referring to Palmer and the rest of the team. "I don't even know what the hell they're doing. Or what Zoe's doing."

I pressed my lips together, not wanting to say anything, but I'm guessing the silence tipped him off. "You know, I'd really like to know your name so I could ask you what the hell is going on," he said crossing his arms over his chest.

I sighed. "Melody. My name is Melody." 

I think I saw a flash of recognition cross of face, but I couldn't be sure, because it was gone as fast it came. "Well, Melody. What the hell is going on in the world of seeing?" he asked, clearly annoyed with the fact that he couldn't 'see'. But he seemed to be handling it well, despite the obvious fact he lost so much in a matter of one summer.

"Well. Let's just say Palmer and Zoe are using your sudden..." I couldn't bring myself to say blindness  "Condition, to their own advantages," I said, recalling the image I'd seen earlier in the girls locker room. 

Even though I couldn't see his eyes, I could imagine the pain and betrayal flashing through them. "How do you know this?" Jesse asked me, his voice cracking. I resisted the urge to reach out and hug him. As much as I had hated Jesse, I honestly felt sorry for him. Two of the people he trusts the most, using the fact that he's blind to hurt him behind his back. Classy. "Never mind. I don't even want to think about that jackass," he said through clenched teeth.